Sports minister instructs ASA to appeal CAS ruling on Caster Semenya
Athletics South Africa (ASA) will appeal a judgment of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) upholding the International Association of Athletics Federations' (IAAF’s) regulations which will force female athletes with higher testosterone levels to take suppressants to compete.
Minister of Sport and Recreation Tokozile Xasa confirmed the news on Monday, saying the ASA will lodge its papers within the prescribed and stipulated period.
ASA, alongside Caster Semenya, lost her case challenging new rules forcing female athletes to regulate their testosterone levels.
Ministry of Sports spokesperson Vuyo Mhaga says the appeal is on three grounds, including the recusal of two of the arbitrators who ASA felt were conflicted since they had handled the similar case of Indian sprinter Dutee Chand in 2015.
We believe that if they can be set aside, different people can have a look at it.Vuyo Mhaga, Ministry of Sport spokesperson
The second part of it is that we believe that the body of evidence we presented was not necessarily taken into consideration.Vuyo Mhaga, Ministry of Sport spokesperson
The third part is the actual implementation of this judgment. It is not quite clear how IAAF is going to administer this judgment to make it effective.Vuyo Mhaga, Ministry of Sport spokesperson
Click on the link below to hear the full conversation....
This article first appeared on 702 : Sports minister instructs ASA to appeal CAS ruling on Caster Semenya
The public protector has briefed Parliament’s justice and correctional services committee about her office’s annual performance.Read More
Last month, Eskom shut down claims by the Democratic Alliance that load shedding was on the cards.Read More
Former Democratic Alliance leader Douglas Gibson weighs in on this weekend's upcoming elective conference.Read More
Political analyst Dr Ralph Mathekga says the candidates for the top position do not reflect the real debate in the party.Read More
In his resignation letter, Boughey - who had been CEO for the DA for five years - said that he had reached an agreement with the party in principle to resign.Read More
Judge Papi Mosopa handed down the sentence in the North Gauteng High Court on Thursday.Read More
Sasmef president Tebogo Kaas calculates cost of rolling blackouts, while union's Mike Shingange says Eskom board must go.Read More
Sentencing proceedings for the convicted child rapist are continuing in the Gauteng High Court.Read More
Opposition parties led by the DA in NMB plan to file a court interdict to ensure that the motion of no confidence is heard.Read More
The Pietermaritzburg pupil died in his mother's arms on Tuesday.Read More