Mabona: Online registration system introduced to eliminate school gatekeeping
Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi announced at a Monday press briefing that online school registrations had been postponed by a week for Grade one and Grade eight pupils.
The postponement follows objections by school governing bodies that don't want language policies to change in the proposed ways the DBE has proposed.
To discuss the postponement, Eusebius McKaiser speaks to the Federation of Governing Bodies of South Africa (Fedsas) education technology manager Riaan van der Bergh and DBE spokesperson Steve Mabona.
Mabona says the thinking behind creating an online application system for Gauteng schools was because there were issues with the application process.
Our people didn't have recourse, when they go to any school, and apply for Grade one and Grade eight, there would be many queues, and the MEC felt that we needed to do something about this.Steve Mabona, Spokesperson - DBE
People will queue from 12 am with camp chairs and there were schools that didn't want people to access the school because of race and all other things. After applying you would not be sure that you will get space at that particular school.Steve Mabona, Spokesperson - DBE
He says some schools would even ask parents for upfront fees before they accepted pupils. The online system was therefore introduced to eliminate gatekeeping by the schools, he explains.
Van der Bergh says the reason why parents would queue outside the schools for hours on end was that there were not enough schools in the right areas.
So, you were queuing because you wanted to be first on the list, and it was not a question of gatekeeping, it was a question of capacity.Riaan van der Bergh, Education technology manager- Fedsas
So if 400 people want to access the same school for 150 seats, you needed to be there earlier. So, we are not against technology, in fact, we want to embrace technology, but the scenario and the narrative in Gauteng are that more people want to access a school than the capacity the school can hold.Riaan van der Bergh, Education technology manager- Fedsas
Mabona says Fedsas will always argue that schools lack capacity and he disagrees with that argument.
We have built over 43 schools, especially in the townships because we say that urban areas have enough schools; it is just that those schools are not accessed.Steve Mabona, Spokesperson - DBE
He says the online system was set up to allow people to apply.
The criteria is very easy, the home address should take you where you want to go, in the same feeder zone.Steve Mabona, Spokesperson - DBE
Van der Bergh says they have no issues with what Mabona is saying, and adds the letter they sent to the department had to do with the system not working properly.
Our letter to the department explained that there were functional errors to the system. The second level to that is the interpretation and application of the regulations. The regulations form part of a bigger legal framework which is a constitutional right for each pupil to opt for a preferential language of learning and teaching at the application phase.Riaan van der Bergh, Education technology manager- Fedsas
Our other issue is that Grade R have to reapply even if they go to the same school.Riaan van der Bergh, Education technology manager- Fedsas
He says feeder zones must make provisions for anomalies as well.
Listen below to the full debate on the online application system in Gauteng:
This article first appeared on 702 : Mabona: Online registration system introduced to eliminate school gatekeeping
Adv. Sipho Mantula reflects on the history between civil war enemies Frelimo and Renamo, who faced off in Tuesday's ballot.Read More
Political scientist Prof. Dirk Kotzé weighs in on what is likely to emerge from opposition's weekend Federal Council meeting.Read More
The public protector has briefed Parliament’s justice and correctional services committee about her office’s annual performance.Read More
Last month, Eskom shut down claims by the Democratic Alliance that load shedding was on the cards.Read More
Former Democratic Alliance leader Douglas Gibson weighs in on this weekend's upcoming elective conference.Read More
Political analyst Dr Ralph Mathekga says the candidates for the top position do not reflect the real debate in the party.Read More
In his resignation letter, Boughey - who had been CEO for the DA for five years - said that he had reached an agreement with the party in principle to resign.Read More
Judge Papi Mosopa handed down the sentence in the North Gauteng High Court on Thursday.Read More
Sasmef president Tebogo Kaas calculates cost of rolling blackouts, while union's Mike Shingange says Eskom board must go.Read More
Sentencing proceedings for the convicted child rapist are continuing in the Gauteng High Court.Read More
Mpumelelo Mhlongo talks about the Mpumi2020 campaign, which documents his journey to the next Paralympic Games.Read More
Eskom says it hopes to keep the power on for Sunday's World Cup clash between Springboks and Japan.Read More
The relatively new CAA number plates are about to run out, explains Western Cape Transport MEC Bonginkosi Madikizela.Read More
Taxi drivers have been causing disruptions this week in protest against warrants issued in an operation by the City of Cape Town.Read More
Recent crime statistics show that the police station has the highest number of sexually related crimes in the country.Read More
Expect heavy delays out of the City along all major routes.Read More
Director-General Thabani Zulu says the nuclear programme will be done at a cost and a pace that is affordable to the State.Read More
Cape Town stadium will be leased to a municipal body that's subsidised by the city for R100 per annum.Read More
Stellenbosch University researcher Alanna Rebelo describes the factors involved in Cape Town fires and how residents can help.Read More