Deutsche Welle DW logo Deutsche Welle DW logo
DW Hour

Up Next: Best of Talk
DW Hour
Lifestyle
fiber_manual_record
Entertainment

Judith Sephuma shares her journey of self-rediscovery and performs new music

17 May 2019 3:52 PM
Judith Sephuma
Power of Dreams

The jazz artist joined Azania Mosake for this week's #702Unplugged and #FridayProfile.

After a two-year break of self-rediscovery, afro-jazz artist Judith Sephuma is back with a new album.

Her seventh album _Power of Dreams was _launched earlier this month.

She joined Azania Mosaka in studio for this week's #702Unplugged and #FridayProfile.

Speaking on her journey, Sephuma says she decided to take time off because she was not fulfilled by her performances and wanted a challenge.

I wanted to take a two-year break from being hard on me, pressurising myself, pleasing other people and forgetting about me. It got to a point where I was doing gigs to get that money... I hated that space that I was in. I felt like I wanted something more challenging than what I was getting.

Judith Sephuma, Afro-jazz artist

I was not getting fulfilled by the performances, the songs are solid but I wanted more. I wanted some excitement and wanted to feel the love that I felt when the songs were written and first played on radio. Something had changed and I got concerned.

Judith Sephuma, Afro-jazz artist

WATCH: Judith Spehuma performs music from her new album Power of Dreams

My travelling going to London and the US opened up my mind so much because I met so many great people. I din't want anything familiar.

Judith Sephuma, Afro-jazz artist

This time it is even better because I got myself to fall in love with me.

Judith Sephuma, Afro-jazz artist

Click on the link below to hear the profile interview and the audio version of unplugged...

This article first appeared on 702 : Judith Sephuma shares her journey of self-rediscovery and performs new music

17 May 2019 3:52 PM
Judith Sephuma
Power of Dreams

Recommended

More from Lifestyle

Covid-19 insurance 123rf 123rfbusiness 123rflifestyle 123rfpersonalfinance

Shareholder activists grill Santam about 'business interruption insurance'

7 July 2020 6:47 PM

The lockdown did it – not the pandemic – so we can’t pay, argues Santam. Bruce Whitfield interviews Tracey Davies of Just Share.

Cars driving in foggy weather low visibility driving safety 123rf

Capetonians, 5 tips on how to drive in foggy weather...and what not to do

7 July 2020 7:39 AM

Driving in Cape Town fog is scary. Automobile Association's Layton Beard gives a great explanation of the dos and don'ts.

Aisha Pandor SweepSouth Alen Ribic

Job won’t make you rich. You must earn in your sleep - Aisha Pandor, SweepSouth

6 July 2020 8:39 PM

Bruce Whitfield talks to SweepSouth cofounder Aisha Pandor about her attitude to money (hopes and fears, successes and failures).

Frog in a pot

Are we boiling frogs? And why do SUV drivers look so confused, asks Tom Eaton

6 July 2020 8:18 PM

The Money Show’s Bruce Whitfield interviews columnist Tom Eaton about his new book, "Is it me, or is it getting hot in here?"

Labrador dogs pets 123rflifestyle 123rf

It seems we've been counting dog years all wrong, say researchers

6 July 2020 10:58 AM

Research now shows that there is a different curve that applies to the life cycle of a canine compared to humans.

gillian-malouw-youtube-screengrabpng

Meet Gillian Malouw, the first woman in Africa to navigate a submarine

4 July 2020 12:48 PM

Lieutenant Gillian Malouw is the first woman submarine officer in Africa. She opens up about her life in the navy.

Family children girls outdoor cloth face masks 123rf 123rflifestyle

We only have each other – the psychology behind not wearing a mask

3 July 2020 10:56 AM

"I’m outside; I don’t need a mask. If you’re uncomfortable, stay at home." Sociologist Steven Robins tries to make sense of it.

Crazy funny man working from home on desktop computer 123rf 123rfbusiness

Job hunting? This CEO is hiring and interviewing remotely – he has advice

2 July 2020 2:15 PM

"We’ve hired people we haven’t met in person," says Karl Hammerschmidt. "There are things you can still do to impress."

swing-cityjpg

Swing City's Graeme Watkins on the Standard Bank (virtual) Jazz Festival

2 July 2020 11:52 AM

This weekend, South African jazz lovers were blown away by the glorious sounds streaming into living rooms courtesy of Swing City.

Woman working from home mother children 123rflifestyle 123rfbusiness 123rf

How to deal with grievances with your boss while working from home

2 July 2020 11:51 AM

A labour lawyer says she has dealt with companies coming to terms with paying for employees home internet data for work purposes.

More from Entertainment

newspapers-pngpng

Media24 will shut down these magazines and newspaper titles

7 July 2020 11:45 AM

Publisher Media24 has announced that a number of newspapers and magazines in its portfolio will either be closed or restructured.

Frog in a pot

Are we boiling frogs? And why do SUV drivers look so confused, asks Tom Eaton

6 July 2020 8:18 PM

Drive-in cinema 123rf 123rfbusiness 123rflifestyle

Ster-Kinekor may open drive-ins in 'one or two locations where it makes sense'

6 July 2020 7:25 PM

"We’ve done all of the back-end work. There are one or two locations where it will make sense," says CEO Ryan Williams.

greg-chalmerspng

[WATCH] Golfer David Poulter caught farting on mic, and his hilarious response

6 July 2020 11:28 AM

Golfer Ian Poulter 'let one rip' as they say just after opponent Greg Chalmers was teeing off at the Travelers Championship.

d4-mtjfwwaau-bljpg

'She was a magnificent performer' - Sello Maake ka-Ncube remembers Mary Twala

5 July 2020 11:06 AM

Actor Sello Maake ka-Ncube says Mary Twala has made an immense contribution to the South African television and film industry.

d4-mtjfwwaau-bljpg

South Africans pay tribute to iconic actress Mary Twala

5 July 2020 9:11 AM

Legendary South African actress Mary Twala passed away at the age of 80.

capetalk-micjpg

CapeTalk shakes up its daytime, weekend and early morning line-up

3 July 2020 4:56 PM

You heard it here first: CapeTalk will introduce a new daytime, weekday line-up starting from Monday, 6 July 2020.

swing-cityjpg

Swing City's Graeme Watkins on the Standard Bank (virtual) Jazz Festival

2 July 2020 11:52 AM

grandwest-casion-reopensjpg

[WATCH] 'Endless line of cars' queue ahead of GrandWest Casino’s reopening

1 July 2020 12:55 PM

In scenes reminiscent of the day alcohol sales were unbanned – you’ve got to see it – gamblers queued to try their luck.

honeyjpeg

'I knew him very well' - Local actress on disgraced Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo

30 June 2020 3:58 PM

'Thank god he never made a pass at me' - US/SA actress Embeth Davitz spills the beans on Harvey Weinstein and life in Hollywood