Foreign nationals still in limbo seven years after closure of Cape Town office
The lives of thousands of people seeking refugee status in South Africa remain in limbo nearly seven years after Cape Town's Refugee Reception Office was closed down.
When the centre closed, the Scalabrini Centre took the Department of Home Affairs to court, saying there are many immigrants in Cape Town who need to be documented. Years later the centre still has not reopened and they're going back to court to get home affairs to open the centre again.Kaylynn Palm, Reporter - EWN
The centre was closed as it was felt the premises at Custom House on the foreshore were too small for purpose.
It means that those seeking to apply for refugee status must head outside the province.
They are forced to leave the city; they have to go to either Durban or Pretoria or Port Elizabeth just to get an asylum seeker's permit so that they can be legal.Kaylynn Palm, Reporter - EWN
Failure to be granted refugee status means thousands of foreign nationals struggle to access even the most basic services.
Some of their challenges include getting a job, accessing health services, education for their children.Kaylynn Palm, Reporter - EWN
We struggle a lot. I'm 12 years now with no documents. It's very difficult for us.Ramadan Vorster, Foreign national
Last year, the Department of Home Affair said the Department Public Works needed to find appropriate premises for the centre.
For the full interview, click below:
The disorientated seal that banged on the door of Pakalolo in Table View this week is being rehabilitated at the Hout Bay Seal Rescue Centre.Read More
Lieutenant Gillian Malouw is the first woman submarine officer in Africa. She opens up about her life in the navy.Read More
Cape Town-based comedian Carl Weber lost his in-laws to Covid-19 last month, just five days apart. His wife also tested positive for the virus.Read More
The SA Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) says Bulelani Qholani could take the City of Cape Town to the Equality Court over his violent eviction.Read More
The man who was forcibly removed from his shack while naked has denied allegations that he deliberately undressed himself to block being evicted.Read More
Grades R, 6, and 11 must return to school on Monday, while schools with enough capacity may apply to bring other grades back too.Read More
You heard it here first: CapeTalk will introduce a new daytime, weekday line-up starting from Monday, 6 July 2020.Read More
South Africa's young children remain at risk as there is still no indication of when early childhood development (ECD) centres will reopen.Read More
Cape Town Stadium chief executive Lesley de Reuck says officials are finalising the first draft of the anchor tenant agreement.Read More
Sadsawu's Myrtle Witbooi explains many domestic workers aren't UIF registered and the direct contact number is hard to access.Read More