Refilwe Moloto 2019 1500 BW Refilwe Moloto 2019 1500 BW
Breakfast with Refilwe Moloto

Up Next: Today with Kieno Kammies
Breakfast with Refilwe Moloto
Sport

'When we got to halfway point, I was on record pace, I took the chance'

10 June 2019 10:44 AM
Gerda Steyn
2019 Comrades Marathon
record

Gerda Steyn describes her record-breaking Comrades Marathon win on Sunday.

South African runner Gerda Steyn has won the 94th Comrades Marathon that took place on Sunday.

Steyn broke the up run record that was previously held by Elena Nurgalieva of 6.09.24 in 2004 by a warping 5.58.53 which was 10 minutes faster.

Read: Guard against basic mistakes - advice ahead of Sunday's Comrades Marathon

In the 2018 Comrades Marathon, she finished second.

Ray White, standing in for Bongani Bingwa speaks to Steyn about her win.

I woke up ok this morning, I managed to get out of bed, but I have to say that I think it is the adrenalin that is still in my body. I think tomorrow I will struggle to wake up. Last year I finished in second place, and that was bittersweet for me. This year, I wanted to win.

Gerda Steyn, Comrades Marathon winner

She adds that she opened a significant gap quite early on in the race and felt reasonably comfortable in that lead.

She says she had not planned to break the record at the start.

I promised myself that I would wait until at least halfway to judge as to whether I am in the right form or right place to break the record. It happened exactly like that, I tried to take it in, I acknowledged the crowd and when we got to the halfway point, I realised that I was on record pace and I decided it was my chance.

Gerda Steyn, Comrades Marathon winner

Listen below to the full interview:

This article first appeared on 702 : 'When we got to halfway point, I was on record pace, I took the chance'

10 June 2019 10:44 AM
Gerda Steyn
2019 Comrades Marathon
record

Recommended

More from Sport

greg-chalmerspng

[WATCH] Golfer David Poulter caught farting on mic, and his hilarious response

6 July 2020 11:28 AM

Golfer Ian Poulter 'let one rip' as they say just after opponent Greg Chalmers was teeing off at the Travelers Championship.

rugby-world-cup-masksjpg

RWC masks launched for 25th anniversary of '95 win - Morné du Plessis

21 June 2020 11:14 AM

SA's 3 World Cup-winning teams dedicate the anniversary of the '95 victory to the Springbok charity supporting injured players.

raven-klaasen-insta-picpng

SA doubles star Raven Klaasen gearing up for US Open

19 June 2020 11:19 AM

South African doubles star Raven Klaasen says he's training in preparation for this year's US Open while some of his peers will sit the tournament out.

191023sa-vs-indgif

Attending select number of boys' schools still key to cricketing success in SA

13 June 2020 1:21 PM

Dr Habib Noorbhai details the findings of his research into the role the school you attend plays in making it into the Proteas.

gym-exercise-fitness-treadmill-equipment-health-club-weights-running-run-123rf

12 changes Virgin Active SA will implement when its club doors open again

9 June 2020 11:45 AM

It's not clear when gyms will reopen in SA, but Virgin Active is readying its clubs for when it gets the green light from the government.

newlands-rugbypng

WP Rugby's Newlands development deal in jeopardy as Marais stalls on paperwork

5 June 2020 7:23 PM

It's reported that Western Province Rugby boss Zelt Marais did not sign the final documents handing over Newlands development rights to Investec.

nathi-mthethwa-briefing-30-maypng

Contact and non-contact sport training to resume. Golfers, surfers seek clarity

30 May 2020 12:48 PM

Professional rugby and soccer teams can resume training under Level 3, says Sport Minister Nathi Mthethwa.

mthethwajpg

[WATCH] Sports Minister gives details on Level 3 lockdown regulations

30 May 2020 10:29 AM

Sports, Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa has updated the nation on the resumption of non-contact sport.

191027bokkewalesjpg

'Play rugby properly! No need for half-baked ideas just to have something on TV'

28 May 2020 3:12 PM

"I'd rather they keep on rerunning the World Cup final," says Jan de Koning (rugby365). "I’ll watch it 10 times every day!"

Springbok captain Siya Kolisi cleaning the house

Clean the house, South African men! Your captain has spoken

20 May 2020 2:19 PM

Springbok captain Siya Kolisi is a real man. No, we’re not talking about his bulging muscles and penchant for crushing Englishmen.