Gauteng transport MEC pleased with taxi vetting process in Soweto
Six taxi routes affected by violence between the Witwatersrand African Taxi Association and the Nancefield Dube West Taxi Association in Soweto have officially been opened with the return of one hundred taxis to the road.
An agreement has been reached between the Gauteng government and the associations with a new vetting process in place.
At least 200 drivers will now have to go through a registration process to be allowed to use the routes.
Gauteng's transport MEC, Jacob Mamabolo says he is happy with the progress that has been made.
We are satisfied with the progress we have made so far in the sense that our exercise of verification and vetting of taxi operators that were operating on the routes before the ranks were closed, that process is going exceptionally well.Jacob Mamabolo, MEC for Transport - Gauteng
The quality of the verification and integrity of the process is going to help us bring stability in the area.Jacob Mamabolo, MEC for Transport - Gauteng
We are pleased with the level of cooperation we have received. The process is still on. I will personally be going to Soweto myself and the different taxi ranks to check.Jacob Mamabolo, MEC for Transport - Gauteng
Click on the link below to hear more from Mamabolo...
This article first appeared on 702 : Gauteng transport MEC pleased with taxi vetting process in Soweto
Political analyst Jan-Jan Joubert says Nzimande will fight back does not believe he will leave his ministerial position easily.Read More
CapeTalk's Breakfast presenter Refilwe Moloto says global inequality needs to be addressed through proper tax.Read More
Sunday Times parliamentary editor Thabo Mokone explains his views expressed about our gangster state in his weekend article.Read More
'We are dying, give us oxygen!' - NUM's Joseph Montisetse says the lives of mine workers are still being taken for granted in SA.Read More
The Airlines Association Of Southern Africa's Chris Zweigenthal weighs in on the possible outcome of SAA's business rescue.Read More
Gauteng MEC for Local Government, Lebogang Maile says the intention of the intervention is to stabilise the city.Read More
Hawks spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi says the man appeared in court and has been released on R1,000 bail.Read More
Refilwe Moloto takes a stab at the current chaotic state of politics, especially in major metros across South Africa.Read More
After dithering for fear of spending political capital, SAA is now out of the President’s hands, says Pieter du Toit (News24).Read More
Safety and security during tourism season in the Cape is everybody's responsibility, says Winde.Read More