What does the future hold for vandal-hit Gugulethu fire station?
There's still no prospect of Gugulethu fire station being reopened after it was subjected to a spate of attacks beginning in July of last year.
The station was most recently targeted on 14 June and has suffered in excess of R500,000 worth of damage over the past 11 months.
Vincent Domingo from the Gugulethu Development Forum says it's residents of the local Ramaphosa informal settlement rather than inhabitants of Gugulethu who are responsible for the most recent attacks.
He told CapeTalk's John Maytham that members of the community reacted angrily after Eskom shut off the electricity being supplied through illegal power lines.
Electricity was shut down and then because of their own frustrations, they went to go and loot the fire station.Vincent Domingo, Gugulethu Development Forum
Domingo says it's the people of Gugulethu who will suffer as a result of the station being closed indefinitely.
We are not going to get the services of that fire station, which is a serious problem.Vincent Domingo, Gugulethu Development Forum
We are not saying it is right what the community of Ramaphosa did - it is wrong- but we are equally saying to the government, they must engage with communities before you get this kind of outcome.Vincent Domingo, Gugulethu Development Forum
There was no dialogue at all in terms of engaging that informal settlement.Vincent Domingo, Gugulethu Development Forum
Listen to the full interview below:
The Gauteng MPL faces off against John Steenhuisen in the DA interim federal leader contest on Sunday.Read More
The South African Cabin Crew Association's Christopher Shabangu says the strike is not intended to shut airline down.Read More
Political analyst Jan-Jan Joubert says there is always a chance of a Makashule Gana upset.Read More
Minister of Small Businesses Development Khumbudzo Ntshavheni says they have improved the feedback system for applicants.Read More
Pundits weigh in on the protest happening at the airline and how passengers have been impacted by it.Read More
EWN reporter Lizelle Persens gives updates on the court proceedings and the family says it does not have sympathy for Botha.Read More
IPSS Emergency Services spokesperson Paul Herbst says the body of a seven-year-old boy who was swept by the heavy rains was found.Read More
Western Cape premier Alan Winde says the the 1000 officers promised by Minister Cele for the province are in training.Read More
Groote Schuur High School's Paige du Plessis explains how the solar power partner project with Sun Exchange actually works.Read More
Spokesperson Tlali Tlali on strike-related cancellation of flights and whether fresh meeting with unions could change outlook.Read More