money-show-thumbnailjpg money-show-thumbnailjpg

EFF
Alcohol
Alcohol abuse
Camps Bay
Dr Mbuyiseni Ndlozi
moet

Daily Maverick journalist and columnist explains why she wrote the piece on the EFF's trash and if it is journalistic or tabloid.

How far are you willing to go to get evidence for your story?

Daily Maverick journalist and columnist Marianne Thamm has come under fire for going through the trash to get evidence against the EFF leadership.

In her piece on Daily Maverick, Thamm allegedly exposes how the EFF rented a four-bedroom luxury Camps Bay villa priced at between R7,100 and R25,000 a night during the Sona period.

The trash also had French champagne brands Veuve Clicquot, Veuve Clicquot Rich, and Moët et Chandon.

I think that if you are a public official and particularly running on a ticket of economic redress and you are fighting for the poor and check into a guest house that cost you R60,000 for eight nights and that money goes straight into a foreign owner. I checked all this out and you put your trash out because you had a lekker party then you are fair game.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

I was only able to load seven of the 14 bags into my car and I took them somewhere and I got witnesses with me and we unpacked them.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

We found items that link a member of the EFF to the house in Camps Bay. That is Dr Mbuyiseni Ndlozi. The booking was made by the CIC bodyguard.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

I found lots of expensive alcohol, tobacco, leftover food, used and unused condoms.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

When probed why she never went through other politicians trash and if this was planned, Thamm says:

This didn't involve planning. I don't go around looking through trash. I am too busy.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

702 listener weighed in on the discussion.

I couldn't care less what Malema does in his private life.

Lungi, Caller

People should read the story and draw their own conclusion.

Brit, Caller

I don't understand why as a member of the EFF I should book myself in Camps Bay or Khayelitsha. There is no one in this day and age the EFF my justify why there were used condoms in the trash bag. This is cheap journalism.

Mpho, Caller

I read the article in the morning. As a voter and who voted for the EFF, I thought its a bit ridiculous. They could have gone to Khayelitsha. The condom issue I thought wow they are using protection.

Palesa, Caller

Listen to the full open line below...

This article first appeared on 702 : I don't go around looking through trash, I am too busy - Marianne Thamm

3 July 2019 12:14 PM
EFF
Alcohol
Alcohol abuse
Camps Bay
Dr Mbuyiseni Ndlozi
moet

More from Local

ramaphosa-novemberpng

[WATCH LIVE] President Ramaphosa addresses the nation at 8pm (Thurs, 3 December)

3 December 2020 6:07 PM

President Cyril Ramaphosa will address the nation at 8pm on Thursday (3 December) on how the government is responding to the resurgence of Covid-19.

license-10jpg

Further delays at Cape Town licencing centres amid problems with national system

3 December 2020 5:53 PM

The City of Cape Town says it can't write off fines despite major issues with the NaTIS system that's slowing down licencing services across the Cape.

Missing Image Placeholder

'We really don't want to see stricter measures in the Garden Route' Alan Winde

3 December 2020 5:49 PM

The Western Cape Premier provides his weekly Covid-19 update on the afternoon drive show with John Maytham.

Restaurant reopen reopening 123rf 123rfbusiness 123rflifestyle

Stark warning issued to CPT hotspots who flout Covid-19 rules this festive

3 December 2020 4:51 PM

The City of Cape Town says it will revoke the licenses of venues that are found not to be complying with Covid-19 regulations.

premier-alan-winde-cticc-covid-19-hospitaljpg

We’ve got this! – Premier Alan Winde (on Covid-19 resurgence in Western Cape)

3 December 2020 3:41 PM

The resurgence of Covid-19 in the Western Cape is now entrenched. The Premier has a plan, says Kaylynn Palm.

pfizerjpg

Applications for vaccine approval in SA could start next week - SAHPRA

3 December 2020 2:42 PM

On Wednesday Britain became the first Western country to approve a COVID-19 vaccine for general, with rollout expected next week.

201028 Mboweni1

Coffers are still looted, but no pay hikes - worker's union

3 December 2020 1:34 PM

Unions in the sector want the courts to compel the state honour a three-year wage increase agreement signed in 2018.

Police cops law enforcement

WC authorities to clamp down on crowded events '250 gathering limit is too high'

3 December 2020 1:21 PM

Western Cape health officials believe that the current regulations around social gatherings are too risky. They'll be ramping up enforcement across the province.

201110-brackenfell-edjpg

Why reclaiming the original spirit of BBBEE is crucial to nation-building in SA

3 December 2020 12:05 PM

The law can take us further than undirected anger says author and columist Siya Khumalo in his latest article for News 24.

Kremi, adult male of the Da Gama Troop with baby

We have got to treat baboons humanely - Cameron Dugmore, W Cape ANC

3 December 2020 11:12 AM

Dugmore is calling for an investigation into how money is spent on baboon management.