Africa Melane 2019 1500 BW

EFF
Alcohol
Alcohol abuse
Camps Bay
Dr Mbuyiseni Ndlozi
moet
Daily Maverick journalist and columnist explains why she wrote the piece on the EFF's trash and if it is journalistic or tabloid.

How far are you willing to go to get evidence for your story?

Daily Maverick journalist and columnist Marianne Thamm has come under fire for going through the trash to get evidence against the EFF leadership.

In her piece on Daily Maverick, Thamm allegedly exposes how the EFF rented a four-bedroom luxury Camps Bay villa priced at between R7,100 and R25,000 a night during the Sona period.

The trash also had French champagne brands Veuve Clicquot, Veuve Clicquot Rich, and Moët et Chandon.

I think that if you are a public official and particularly running on a ticket of economic redress and you are fighting for the poor and check into a guest house that cost you R60,000 for eight nights and that money goes straight into a foreign owner. I checked all this out and you put your trash out because you had a lekker party then you are fair game.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

I was only able to load seven of the 14 bags into my car and I took them somewhere and I got witnesses with me and we unpacked them.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

We found items that link a member of the EFF to the house in Camps Bay. That is Dr Mbuyiseni Ndlozi. The booking was made by the CIC bodyguard.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

I found lots of expensive alcohol, tobacco, leftover food, used and unused condoms.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

When probed why she never went through other politicians trash and if this was planned, Thamm says:

This didn't involve planning. I don't go around looking through trash. I am too busy.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

702 listener weighed in on the discussion.

I couldn't care less what Malema does in his private life.

Lungi, Caller

People should read the story and draw their own conclusion.

Brit, Caller

I don't understand why as a member of the EFF I should book myself in Camps Bay or Khayelitsha. There is no one in this day and age the EFF my justify why there were used condoms in the trash bag. This is cheap journalism.

Mpho, Caller

I read the article in the morning. As a voter and who voted for the EFF, I thought its a bit ridiculous. They could have gone to Khayelitsha. The condom issue I thought wow they are using protection.

Palesa, Caller

Listen to the full open line below...

This article first appeared on 702 : I don't go around looking through trash, I am too busy - Marianne Thamm

3 July 2019 12:14 PM
EFF
Alcohol
Alcohol abuse
Camps Bay
Dr Mbuyiseni Ndlozi
moet

More from Local

'Army should only stay on Cape Flats if police have crime intelligence plan'

15 September 2019 9:44 AM

If the SANDF deployment is extended on the Cape Flats, it must be done in conjunction with better policing, an analyst explains.

Khayelitsha eco hustlers run CT Marathon with trees on their backs

15 September 2019 8:38 AM

Khayelitsha green entrepreneur Siyabulela Sokomani has brought his 'moving forest' to Sanlam Cape Town Marathon for a good cause.

De Lille remembers Bok legend Chester Williams ahead of funeral service

14 September 2019 8:46 AM

Minister Patricia de Lille has invited the public to pay their final respects to Williams at the Newlands Stadium in Cape Town.

#SandtonShutdown: Activist says civil society can't fight against GBV alone

13 September 2019 4:02 PM

Hundreds of women gathered outside the JSE in Sandton as early as 3am this morning to demand support from the private sector.

'Peter Moyo is not required – nor permitted – at work'

13 September 2019 2:32 PM

Old Mutual is not backing down in its fight with fired CEO Peter Moyo. Ray White interviews EWN’s Nthakoana Ngatane.

Bob Hewitt victims cry foul over parole decision

13 September 2019 2:08 PM

Olivia Jasriel says they were informed on Thursday that Hewitt will be released n the 23 September 2019.

'Why I broke the silence on Dr Thandi Ndlovu's abuse story'

13 September 2019 1:01 PM

Businesswoman Khanyi Chaba says she spoke out about the abuse of her late friend Dr Thandi Ndlovu in order to honour her legacy.

YES beneficiaries work in South African clinics to fight HIV/Aids

13 September 2019 10:19 AM

Kgabele Memela says because of the initiative he received an internship at Unlockd.

City of Cape Town explains why it hiked electricity tariffs

13 September 2019 9:15 AM

Civic pressure group Stop CoCT says it found discrepancies in the tariff increases implemented by the City.

'Children don't just wake up today and say I'm going to commit a murder'

13 September 2019 8:42 AM

Centre for Child Law project manager Zita Hansungule says children still have the ability to be rehabilitated and reintegrated.