CapeTalk logo 2017 1500 x 1500 CapeTalk logo 2017 1500 x 1500

EFF
Alcohol
Alcohol abuse
Camps Bay
Dr Mbuyiseni Ndlozi
moet

Daily Maverick journalist and columnist explains why she wrote the piece on the EFF's trash and if it is journalistic or tabloid.

How far are you willing to go to get evidence for your story?

Daily Maverick journalist and columnist Marianne Thamm has come under fire for going through the trash to get evidence against the EFF leadership.

In her piece on Daily Maverick, Thamm allegedly exposes how the EFF rented a four-bedroom luxury Camps Bay villa priced at between R7,100 and R25,000 a night during the Sona period.

The trash also had French champagne brands Veuve Clicquot, Veuve Clicquot Rich, and Moët et Chandon.

I think that if you are a public official and particularly running on a ticket of economic redress and you are fighting for the poor and check into a guest house that cost you R60,000 for eight nights and that money goes straight into a foreign owner. I checked all this out and you put your trash out because you had a lekker party then you are fair game.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

I was only able to load seven of the 14 bags into my car and I took them somewhere and I got witnesses with me and we unpacked them.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

We found items that link a member of the EFF to the house in Camps Bay. That is Dr Mbuyiseni Ndlozi. The booking was made by the CIC bodyguard.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

I found lots of expensive alcohol, tobacco, leftover food, used and unused condoms.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

When probed why she never went through other politicians trash and if this was planned, Thamm says:

This didn't involve planning. I don't go around looking through trash. I am too busy.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

702 listener weighed in on the discussion.

I couldn't care less what Malema does in his private life.

Lungi, Caller

People should read the story and draw their own conclusion.

Brit, Caller

I don't understand why as a member of the EFF I should book myself in Camps Bay or Khayelitsha. There is no one in this day and age the EFF my justify why there were used condoms in the trash bag. This is cheap journalism.

Mpho, Caller

I read the article in the morning. As a voter and who voted for the EFF, I thought its a bit ridiculous. They could have gone to Khayelitsha. The condom issue I thought wow they are using protection.

Palesa, Caller

Listen to the full open line below...

This article first appeared on 702 : I don't go around looking through trash, I am too busy - Marianne Thamm

3 July 2019 12:14 PM
EFF
Alcohol
Alcohol abuse
Camps Bay
Dr Mbuyiseni Ndlozi
moet

Recommended

More from Local

161102classroomjpg

No school on Monday: Grade 7s & matrics should return on 8 June - Education Dept

31 May 2020 7:45 PM

In a last-minute statement issued by the Basic Education Department on Sunday, these pupils should return to school on 8 June only.

200519 Angie Motshekga4

UPDATE: Motshekga delays address on school readiness amid further consultations

31 May 2020 7:04 PM

The minister was set to give an update on Sunday evening after meeting unions and organisations who wanted re-opening delayed.

nurses-dance-at-karl-bremer-hospitalpng

[WATCH] Jiving hospital nurses celebrate their risky work on Covid-19 frontline

31 May 2020 3:47 PM

If anyone is at high risk of contracting the disease, it's hospital workers. Karl Bremer nurses know how to keep their spirits up.

MyCiti.jpg

MyCiTi bus service 'ready' to safely transport more commuters from Monday

31 May 2020 2:28 PM

CoCt's Felicity Purchase details the protective measures in place and urges commuters to be responsible.

School learner pupil reading classroon 123rfeducation 123rflifestyle 123rf

New school calendar: return dates for all the grades

31 May 2020 10:22 AM

The Basic Education Department has gazetted the updated calendar for the 2020 school year.

Cigarette-two.jpg

Health Minister to host Sunday meeting on tobacco control in SA

31 May 2020 9:48 AM

On World No Tobacco Day, Minister Zweli Mkhize is set to host a virtual meeting amid court action over continued tobacco sale ban.

Covid-19 Warning sign 123rf

[LATEST] SA's Covid-19 cases near 31 000, 65% in Western Cape

31 May 2020 8:36 AM

As South Africa gets ready to move to level 3 lockdown, here are the latest figures.

fikile-mbalula-briefing-30-maypng

Curfew on public transport to be lifted, domestic air travel phased in

30 May 2020 4:44 PM

Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula outlined the relaxation of transport regulations under Level 3 of the national lockdown during a media briefing on Saturday.

nathi-mthethwa-briefing-30-maypng

1 500 artists to receive relief funding, arts regulations relaxed

30 May 2020 3:48 PM

Minister Nathi Mthethwa announced that R200m is now available to help artists and athletes after a financial boost from MECs.

200410 Mbalula

[WATCH] Mbalula outlines transport regulations under Level 3

30 May 2020 2:18 PM

Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula held a briefing on rules for the transport sector from 1 June.