'There is a sense of relief and I feel vindicated,' says Johan Booysen
National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP) advocate Shamila Batohi has decided to withdraw racketeering charges against former Cato Manor detectives and former KwaZulu-Natal Hawks head Johan Booysen.
The Durban High Court set aside the initial decision by fired former deputy national director of prosecutions advocate Nomgcobo Jiba.
However, the charges were later reinstated by advocate Shaun Abrahams when appointed as NDPP.
To discuss the withdrawal of charges, Clement Manyathela on the Xolani Gwala Show chats to NPA communications head Bulelwa Makeke and Booysen.
The NDPP Shamila Batohi has made that decision to withdraw the charges. This decision puts an end to that part of the case because other predicate offences still need to be addressed by the regional office.Bulelwa Makeke, Communications head - NPA
She adds that four senior officials unanimously found that no case could be made for the authorisation of racketeering charges in what was presented before them.
So what the NDPP has done after making the decision on the racketeering charges, is to refer all the dockets to the acting DPP to reassess all those dockets to make sure that where there is sufficient evidence against all those accused to be taken to court.Bulelwa Makeke, Communications head - NPA
Booysen says he is delighted by this decision.
There is a sense of relief and I feel vindicated. Initially, when Jiba authorised the charges, I said there was no shred of evidence linking me to any of these things and at the time the court agreed with me and set aside the charges against me.Johan Booysen, Former head - KwaZulu Natal Hawks
He says as far as he is concerned, no charges are pending against him.
Listen below to the full interview:
This article first appeared on 702 : 'There is a sense of relief and I feel vindicated,' says Johan Booysen
In his resignation letter, Boughey - who had been CEO for the DA for five years - said that he had reached an agreement with the party in principle to resign.Read More
Judge Papi Mosopa handed down the sentence in the North Gauteng High Court on Thursday.Read More
Sasmef president Tebogo Kaas calculates cost of rolling blackouts, while union's Mike Shingange says Eskom board must go.Read More
Sentencing proceedings for the convicted child rapist are continuing in the Gauteng High Court.Read More
Opposition parties led by the DA in NMB plan to file a court interdict to ensure that the motion of no confidence is heard.Read More
The Pietermaritzburg pupil died in his mother's arms on Tuesday.Read More
Party federal council elections presiding officer Desree van der Walt says its all systems go for this weekend's elections.Read More
Ninow used his court proceeding to relay a poem he wrote for a seven-year-old girl he sexually assaulted in a toilet cubicle.Read More
Public Enterprise shadow minister Natasha Mazzone says the country should have been warned a long time ago about the blackouts.Read More
Zuma is facing fraud, corruption, racketeering and money laundering charges; the trial has been postponed until February.Read More