'For the looting to continue there are efforts to get rid of me at all costs'
Suspended Ekurhuleni chief operations officer Lesiba Mojapelo insists his suspension is based on a report that does not exist and that a Special Investigating Unit (SIU) report on the awarding of a R4m tender to TS Records to market the city's 2010 Fifa Soccer World Cup activities found nothing untoward.
Mojapelo, who was alleged to have deviated from supply-chain policies, says the report processed by the council in February resolved that nothing was wrong with the appointment.
He spoke to Joanne Joseph on the Afternoon Drive on Tuesday to clarify this as well as claims that there is a concerted effort to remove him from office.
With regard to the report that we know, that report was processed by council on the 21st of February, where council looked at all the processes and council resolved there was nothing wrong with the appointment of TS Records. Council went further to say that the matter is finalised and closed.Lesiba Mojapelo, Suspended Ekurhuleni chief operations officer
SIU actually should never have gotten involved because the issue was irregular expenditure in terms of appointment. The SIU is established to deal with fraud, corruption and maladministration.Lesiba Mojapelo, Suspended Ekurhuleni chief operations officer
There is nothing wrong with the deviation, there was nothing wrong with the deviation in 2010. SIU did not find anything untowardLesiba Mojapelo, Suspended Ekurhuleni chief operations officer
Responding to questions over recent claims levelled against him over the handling of the city's Lungile Mtshali Community Development Project, Mojapelo says it is a smear campaign.
I am open to anyone anywhere, those parks exist and there is nothing wrong with that programme. It is a smear campaign that is continuing.Lesiba Mojapelo, Suspended Ekurhuleni chief operations officer
To that extent, I am available to anyone to subject myself to any form of investigation.Lesiba Mojapelo, Suspended Ekurhuleni chief operations officer
He says there have been letters circulated about alleged plans to remove him.
They were consistent, all of them, to say for the looting to continue there are efforts to get rid of me at all costs.Lesiba Mojapelo, Suspended Ekurhuleni chief operations officer
I don't do corruption, I am saying it without fear of contradiction.Lesiba Mojapelo, Suspended Ekurhuleni chief operations officer
He says he is unable to say who is targeting him.
I know who is targeting me but I am not at liberty to say it.Lesiba Mojapelo, Suspended Ekurhuleni chief operations officer
Click on the link below to hear the full interview...
This article first appeared on 702 : 'For the looting to continue there are efforts to get rid of me at all costs'
The public protector has briefed Parliament’s justice and correctional services committee about her office’s annual performance.Read More
Last month, Eskom shut down claims by the Democratic Alliance that load shedding was on the cards.Read More
Former Democratic Alliance leader Douglas Gibson weighs in on this weekend's upcoming elective conference.Read More
Political analyst Dr Ralph Mathekga says the candidates for the top position do not reflect the real debate in the party.Read More
In his resignation letter, Boughey - who had been CEO for the DA for five years - said that he had reached an agreement with the party in principle to resign.Read More
Judge Papi Mosopa handed down the sentence in the North Gauteng High Court on Thursday.Read More
Sasmef president Tebogo Kaas calculates cost of rolling blackouts, while union's Mike Shingange says Eskom board must go.Read More
Sentencing proceedings for the convicted child rapist are continuing in the Gauteng High Court.Read More
Opposition parties led by the DA in NMB plan to file a court interdict to ensure that the motion of no confidence is heard.Read More
The Pietermaritzburg pupil died in his mother's arms on Tuesday.Read More