'Waste drop-off facilities in Cape Town are definitely open and operational'
Are all the waste dumping sites in Cape Town closed? A garden landscaper contacted the breakfast Show and said some were not open and he was struggling to dump his garden waste.
Mayco member for Water, Sanitation and waste services Xanthea Limberg chats to Kieno Kammies and insists this is not the case.
None of the City's waste drop-off facilities have been closed. There will be some sites that will be receiving quite large upgrades to the facilities, Kommetjie and Hout Bay and Woodstock among those.Xanthea Limberg, Mayco member Water, Sanitation and Waste Service - City of Cape Town
Kommetjie and Hout Bay will remain open and operational during the upgrade, she says but Woodstock will have to be temporarily closed due to construction.
But we have attempted to in advance, inform all of the users about that.Xanthea Limberg, Mayco member Water, Sanitation and Waste Service - City of Cape Town
Kammies asked Limberg whether reports that the site on Ladie's Mile has been reportedly sold to developers is true, but Limberg could not comment on that saying, the site is currently operational.
I cannot state whether it will be sold or not....to my knowledge there is no such agreement in place.Xanthea Limberg, Mayco member Water, Sanitation and Waste Service - City of Cape Town
Should this occur, she insists the City will inform residents.
Listeners then called in to say the site on Ladies Mile is closed and in fact, construction is already underway.
After the interview, Limberg messaged the Breakfast Show and said she had been confused and in fact, the ladies mile land had to be given back to the Solomon Brothers as part of a land claim. The City is constructing a further waste drop off at Prince George Drive to further cater to residents as a replacement for Ladies Mile. Construction is also starting later this year and it is scheduled to be open by 2020/2021
Listen to Limberg below:
All airlines review their schedules and cancel and consolidate flights in event of low demand says SAA's Phillip Saunders.Read More
Justice Ministry spokesperson explains a precedent may be set in the SIU case to the Special tribunal starting on Tuesday.Read More
Struggle stalwart Frank Chikane was detained at the same time as Dr Neil Aggett. He recalls how brutally they were treated by police.Read More
If Jeff Bezos and Bernard Arnault – the world’s two richest men – sat on their wealth piled up in $100 bills, they’d be in space!Read More
#OpenNSFAS rep Kabelo Mahlobgwane says the application deadlines must be scrapped so late-accepted students can receive funds.Read More
Legal journalist Karyn Maughan explains the SIU's special tribunal's first case staring on Tuesday.Read More
Almost 38 years after his death, a fresh investigation into the death of anti-apartheid activist Neil Aggett has been opened.Read More
The lesbian couple has launched a case with the SA Human Rights Commission after the venue refused to host their wedding.Read More
"… we are definitely going to participate in the 2021 local government elections...," says former Joburg mayor Herman Mashaba.Read More
She allegedly did it without President Cyril Ramaphosa’s permission, as required by the Ministerial Handbook.Read More