African Diaspora Forum (ADF) chairperson Vusimuzi Sibanda says the organisation is planning to take Home Affairs Minister Aaron Motsoaledi and the state to court for mistreating foreign nationals.
This is after more than 650 foreign nationals were taken in during search and seizure operations in the Johannesburg city centre.
The Johannesburg Magistrate Court has ordered that undocumented foreign nationals arrested last week must be sent to the Lindela Repatriation Centre.
The raids were part of a joint operation between the South African Police Service, the South African Revenue Service custom officials and Johannesburg Metro Police Department resulted in the confiscation of illegal goods and illegal firearms.
Clement Manyathela on the Xolani Gwala Show chats to Sibanda about the matter.
The migrants that were captured over the long weekend were kept in cells that were overcrowded to such a point that officials couldn't process their paperwork. They were not allowed visitation from their relatives in terms of the law. Nor could they consult with legal practitioners as it is required.— Vusimuzi Sibanda, Chairperson - African Diaspora Forum
He says the court case that happened on Monday was merely done to ensure that these foreign nationals could not be held illegally.
We are going to help all foreign nationals that had documentation in taking the minister to court for compensation.— Vusimuzi Sibanda, Chairperson - African Diaspora Forum
Listen below to the full interview:
This article first appeared on 702 : ADF to take state to court for mistreating foreign nationals