All eyes on Premier David Makura to axe male MEC in line with ANC resolution
Gauteng Premier David Makura has yet to name the male MEC he will axe in favour of a female member following pressure from the African National Congress (ANC).
After the national elections, the ANC national executive committee (NEC) decided that the Gauteng government must have at least a 60-40 gender representation ratio.
Currently, the province has five male MECs and five female MECs.
Last month Makhura was ordered to make the necessary changes to his Cabinet in line with the resolution.
However, ANC Gauteng provincial secretary Jacob Khawe tells Clement Manyathela that no deadline was given.
There was no deadline on this matter so the story of a deadline is not really true.Jacob Khawe, Provincial secretary - ANC Gauteng
This is communicated to the province via the provincial secretary and that has not happened.Jacob Khawe, Provincial secretary - ANC Gauteng
Khawe says they are also looking at engaging Luthuli House on how to resolve the issue.
We feel there is still an opportunity for engagement because we have appointed more women in the structures of government in Gauteng.Jacob Khawe, Provincial secretary - ANC Gauteng
Makhura must chose who to get rid of amongst Panyaza Lesufi, Bandile Masuku, Jacob Mamabolo, Lebogang Maile and Kgosientso Ramokgopa.
Listen to the full interview below...
This article first appeared on 702 : All eyes on Premier David Makura to axe male MEC in line with ANC resolution
Legal journo Karyn Maughan gives an update on the application by civil organisation, the Fair and Equitable Society.Read More
National Santaco spokesperson Thabiso Molelekwa insists it never supported the 100% passenger occupancy of minibus taxis.Read More
Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula has outlined changes to the regulations governing public transportation during lockdown.Read More
Public Servants Association says government is being opportunistic using Covid-19 crisis to cite reasons for no increase.Read More
AmaBhungane investigative journalist Micah Reddy reports that police said their orders 'came from the top'.Read More
Despite a lack of clarity for people living in housing estates and complexes regarding the use of communal spaces, SAPS is clear.Read More
On Monday night Cyril Ramaphosa said we entering a new phase of the fight against the pandemic with mass testing rolling out.Read More
Zulu says she was heartened to see elderly recipients helping ensure social distancing and not just leaving it up to government.Read More
JP Smith says Capetonians were largely cooperative on Day One of lockdown, but there were pockets of 'massive' non-compliance.Read More
Johnson says over the last 24 hours I have developed mild symptoms and is self-isolating.Read More