South Africans with Edgars accounts are up in arms over a new service fee of R22,80 a month, which came into effect in July.
It's alleged that all account holders, regardless of the money they owe, have to pay the monthly fee and customers feel they can never settle their accounts as a result.
While some listeners on CapeTalk and 702 expressed their outrage, others say clients are being petty over what they believe is an insignificant amount.
So yall say #EdgarsMustFall 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂. All for R22 p/m?— Amour's Mom💕 (@Mypule_) September 20, 2016
To put things into perspective, presenter Eusebius McKaiser opened the lines for listeners to illustrate the value of R22,80.
1. A snackbox meal at Chicken Licken for R18.00 (Eusebius)
2. A can of tuna or sardines. (Larry)
3. Two loafs of bread and sliced polony. (Joyce)
4. A week's worth of lunchbox sandwiches. (Lerato)
5. Cabbage and mealie meal to feed a family. (Wendy)
6. Daily travel fare for domestic workers, gardeners and other employees. (George)
7. A pack of small eggs and butter. (Leroy)
8. 17 units of electricity. (Mfundo)
9. A 2kg of sugar or rice. (Tuks)
10. 250g chicken livers, an onion, a chillie, a tomato, maybe 2 or 3 bread rolls, and a loose cigarette. (Rustum)
This is not a frivolous conversation... It's not about the R22,80. It's about the violence that capital imposes on poor black bodies on a daily basis.— Vanita, caller
Listen to the full conversation from The Redi Tlhabi Show (with Eusebius Mckaiser):
This article first appeared on 702 : Dear Edgars: Here are 10 things listeners can buy with your R22 service fee