Kieno Kammies 2019 1500 BW
Today with Kieno Kammies

Up Next: The Midday Report with Clement Manyathela
Today with Kieno Kammies
Lifestyle

Miss SA gave me a platform to realise my dreams - Bassie Kumalo shares her story

9 October 2019 3:19 PM
Miss South Africa
Basetsana Kumalo
memoir
1994
Bassie
My Journey of Hope
Former Miss South Africa Basetsana Kumalo has written her tell-all autobiography which she hopes will inspire the nation.

Media mogul Basetsana Kumalo has written her memoir which sheds light on the good, bad and the ugly of being a public figure.

The book, entitled Bassie – My Journey of Hope, was released this week by publishers Penguin Books.

In it, Kumalo speaks candidly about her family, Christian faith, relationships, success, abuse and the lessons she learned.

The businesswoman was crowned Miss South Africa in 1994 at a critical moment in South Africa's political history.

Her memoir details how winning the crown changed the trajectory of her life, 25 years on.

Kumalo says she wants readers to find a new sense of hope in a time when many South Africans are disillusioned with the state of the country.

Pageantry was a big thing in the townships at the time. When I won Miss South Africa, the township of Soweto won. South Africa embraced this new face.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

Miss South Africa really catapulted me and gave me a platform that I would have otherwise never have had to realise my dreams.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

She also writes about overcoming loss and pain in her life.

An avid journaler, Kumalo says writing about her life experiences was a cathartic exercise which has brought her healing and renewed hope.

I turned 45 in March this year and I just felt that everything was aligned.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

She relives some of the traumatic times in her life. These include the death of her parents, her miscarriages and her abusive relationship with former boxing champion Dingaan Thobela.

There were days when getting out of bed was impossible, when brushing my hair was an effort and when eating was too hard. My faith saved me.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

It's important for me to chronicle what I've been through and my life experiences.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

Bassie – My Journey of Hope is out in bookstores nationwide.

Listen to the inspiring discussion on The Yellow Couch with Pippa Hudson:

Thumbnail: Basetsana Kumalo on Twitter.

9 October 2019 3:19 PM
Miss South Africa
Basetsana Kumalo
memoir
1994
Bassie
My Journey of Hope

More from Lifestyle

spekboom-in-tokai-parkjpg

Spekboom Challenge alert: Plant it at home but stay away from natural veld

20 February 2020 3:52 PM

Environmental consultant Elzanne Singels is worried that do-gooders in the Western Cape could trigger genetic pollution.

jm-and-kkpng

[WATCH] Who ate the VERY LAST packet of Salt & Vinegar Lays! John or Kieno?

20 February 2020 2:31 PM

John and Kieno go head to head over who got the last packet of chips.

general-elections-London-UK-Flag-St Paul's cathedral-123rf

UK effectively shuts the door on most South Africans hoping to emigrate

20 February 2020 10:50 AM

Refilwe Moloto interviews Marisa Jacobs, Director and Head of Immigration and Mobility at Xpatweb.

scientist-chemicals-hazardous-materials-virus-quarantine-disease-mask-123rf

Was coronavirus covid-19 deliberately created in a laboratory?

20 February 2020 9:36 AM

Dr Sibongile Walaza, an epidemiologist, sheds light on the veracity of a few claims floating around on social media.

Depressed young woman suicide mental health 123rflifestyle 123rf

W Cape suicides more prevalent among 20 to 30-year-olds - report

20 February 2020 8:25 AM

W Cape Burden of Disease Reduction report released this week shows province has highest prevalence of mental illness in country.

beach-holiday-travel-relaxjpg

Attorney to take legal action against timeshare companies over dodgy contracts

19 February 2020 4:40 PM

Cape Town-based attorney Trudie Broekmann will represent dozens of clients who desperately want out of their timeshare contracts.

author-elaine-durbach-on-the-yellow-couchjpg

'It's magic' - Acclaimed journalist-turned-author on her first work of fiction

19 February 2020 4:14 PM

Elaine Durbach joins Pippa Hudson on The Yellow Couch after her 'Roundabout' book launch, before returning to the US.

Stressed overworked businessman 123rfbusiness 123rf

South Africa has the 8th longest working hours in the world - Africa Check

19 February 2020 2:54 PM

Fact-checking organisation Africa Check disputes reports that South Africans work longer hours than any other nation in the world.

brain-audience-2020jpg

[WATCH] Dis-Chem Brain of CapeTalk Quarter-Finals so far...who'll win the final?

19 February 2020 1:40 PM

Watch the first three quarter-finals and get to Tygervalley on Saturday morning for the last one and the final play-offs.

beach-bioluminescence-tide-ocean-glow-blue-123rf

Why Kogel Bay beach glows in bright, blue luminescence

19 February 2020 11:30 AM

Gordan’s Bay residents and visitors to the area were recently treated to an unforgettable show.