John Maytham 2019 1500 BW John Maytham 2019 1500 BW
Afternoon Drive with John Maytham

Up Next: The Money Show with Bruce Whitfield
Afternoon Drive with John Maytham
Lifestyle

Miss SA gave me a platform to realise my dreams - Bassie Kumalo shares her story

9 October 2019 3:19 PM
Miss South Africa
Basetsana Kumalo
memoir
1994
Bassie
My Journey of Hope

Former Miss South Africa Basetsana Kumalo has written her tell-all autobiography which she hopes will inspire the nation.

Media mogul Basetsana Kumalo has written her memoir which sheds light on the good, bad and the ugly of being a public figure.

The book, entitled Bassie – My Journey of Hope, was released this week by publishers Penguin Books.

In it, Kumalo speaks candidly about her family, Christian faith, relationships, success, abuse and the lessons she learned.

The businesswoman was crowned Miss South Africa in 1994 at a critical moment in South Africa's political history.

Her memoir details how winning the crown changed the trajectory of her life, 25 years on.

Kumalo says she wants readers to find a new sense of hope in a time when many South Africans are disillusioned with the state of the country.

Pageantry was a big thing in the townships at the time. When I won Miss South Africa, the township of Soweto won. South Africa embraced this new face.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

Miss South Africa really catapulted me and gave me a platform that I would have otherwise never have had to realise my dreams.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

She also writes about overcoming loss and pain in her life.

An avid journaler, Kumalo says writing about her life experiences was a cathartic exercise which has brought her healing and renewed hope.

I turned 45 in March this year and I just felt that everything was aligned.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

She relives some of the traumatic times in her life. These include the death of her parents, her miscarriages and her abusive relationship with former boxing champion Dingaan Thobela.

There were days when getting out of bed was impossible, when brushing my hair was an effort and when eating was too hard. My faith saved me.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

It's important for me to chronicle what I've been through and my life experiences.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

Bassie – My Journey of Hope is out in bookstores nationwide.

Listen to the inspiring discussion on The Yellow Couch with Pippa Hudson:

Thumbnail: Basetsana Kumalo on Twitter.

9 October 2019 3:19 PM
Miss South Africa
Basetsana Kumalo
memoir
1994
Bassie
My Journey of Hope

More from Lifestyle

Toyota-car-logo-vehicle-automotive-industry-car-manufacturers-123rf

[REVIEW] Toyota Starlet: 'Good, fuel-efficient, safe car at a very good price'

29 September 2020 2:31 PM

"The Toyota Starlet makes enormous sense," says motoring journalist Ciro de Siena. Got R204 900?

Young woman holds smart phone and credit card banking 123rf 123rfbusiness

Bank fees are too high. It’s unfair! – Bettr (new app-powered 'bank')

29 September 2020 11:11 AM

"We aim to do banking differently," says Bettr cofounder Tobie van Zyl. "The traditional banking model is going to evaporate."

black-family-house-for-sale-sold-property-household-investment-bond-rent-123rf

R1m home loan costs only R7800/month right now – what are you paying to rent?

29 September 2020 9:34 AM

There’s a glut of properties on the market - should you take advantage? Pieter Koekemoer warns against getting carried away.

Cape Town Cycle Tour

'Cyclists have the same rights as motorists on the road'

29 September 2020 7:25 AM

Pedal Power Association chair Steve Hayward says Cape Town law states motorists have to pass cyclists at a distance of 1.5 metres.

kevin-lings-croppedjpg

I love economics. It’s part of me - Kevin Lings (Chief Economist, Stanlib)

28 September 2020 8:12 PM

Kevin Lings (Chief Economist, Stanlib) opens up about his attitude to money (hopes and fears, successes and failures, etc.).

Funky hipster retired older mature couple 123rf 123rfbusiness retirement

How to secure your retirement - Bruce Cameron (retired editor, Personal Finance)

28 September 2020 7:24 PM

Bruce Cameron discusses with Bruce Whitfield his new book on securing your retirement, despite corruption and the smashed economy.

Small grey house wooden 123rf 123rfbusiness 123rflifestyle

All houses in South Africa can and should be built with wood – study

28 September 2020 6:49 PM

SA needs homes. Plenty of them. They can and should be constructed with wood, says Phillip Crafford (Stellenbosch University).

baby-hand-father-dad

Had a baby during lockdown? Researchers want to find out about your experience

27 September 2020 10:30 AM

Emma Numanoglu, midwife and lactation consultant is on a team looking to learn about the impact of the pandemic on birth.

Vaginal health vagina women 123rflifestyle 123rf

Polycystic ovary syndrome affects more than just your ovaries

26 September 2020 10:49 AM

Dr Kerusha Naidoo a homeopathic doctor, breaks down the signs and symptoms of Polycystic ovary syndrome.

Prison cell jail

10 years later: Vanessa Goosen discusses life after Thai prison release

26 September 2020 8:25 AM

Vanessa Goosen spent over 16 years in a Thai prison for drug smuggling. She reflects on this time and her 10 years of freedom.