CapeTalk logo 2017 1500 x 1500
Best of Talk

Up Next: Weekend Early
Best of Talk
Lifestyle

Miss SA gave me a platform to realise my dreams - Bassie Kumalo shares her story

9 October 2019 3:19 PM
Miss South Africa
Basetsana Kumalo
memoir
1994
Bassie
My Journey of Hope
Former Miss South Africa Basetsana Kumalo has written her tell-all autobiography which she hopes will inspire the nation.

Media mogul Basetsana Kumalo has written her memoir which sheds light on the good, bad and the ugly of being a public figure.

The book, entitled Bassie – My Journey of Hope, was released this week by publishers Penguin Books.

In it, Kumalo speaks candidly about her family, Christian faith, relationships, success, abuse and the lessons she learned.

The businesswoman was crowned Miss South Africa in 1994 at a critical moment in South Africa's political history.

Her memoir details how winning the crown changed the trajectory of her life, 25 years on.

Kumalo says she wants readers to find a new sense of hope in a time when many South Africans are disillusioned with the state of the country.

Pageantry was a big thing in the townships at the time. When I won Miss South Africa, the township of Soweto won. South Africa embraced this new face.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

Miss South Africa really catapulted me and gave me a platform that I would have otherwise never have had to realise my dreams.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

She also writes about overcoming loss and pain in her life.

An avid journaler, Kumalo says writing about her life experiences was a cathartic exercise which has brought her healing and renewed hope.

I turned 45 in March this year and I just felt that everything was aligned.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

She relives some of the traumatic times in her life. These include the death of her parents, her miscarriages and her abusive relationship with former boxing champion Dingaan Thobela.

There were days when getting out of bed was impossible, when brushing my hair was an effort and when eating was too hard. My faith saved me.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

It's important for me to chronicle what I've been through and my life experiences.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

Bassie – My Journey of Hope is out in bookstores nationwide.

Listen to the inspiring discussion on The Yellow Couch with Pippa Hudson:

Thumbnail: Basetsana Kumalo on Twitter.

9 October 2019 3:19 PM
Miss South Africa
Basetsana Kumalo
memoir
1994
Bassie
My Journey of Hope

More from Lifestyle

snail-container-home-pixabaycom

Building a container home? You're welcome to, but follow due process says NHBRC

7 December 2019 4:50 PM

As the National Home Builders Registration Council clarifies red tape queries, there's a flood of complaints about its high fees.

book-pagesjpg

John Maytham's Weekly Book Review: 06 December 2019

6 December 2019 4:56 PM

Bibliophile and beloved Afternoon Drive presenter John Maytham reviews his latest book picks, including a new read by Stephen King.

val-de-vie-estate-website-imagejpg

Val de Vie ranked SA's top residential estate once again

6 December 2019 12:20 PM

Val de Vie Estate remains number one. Ryk Neethling, the estate's marketing boss, explains what it takes to stay on top.

Nic Harry

Want to start a small business? Lessons from a successful serial entrepreneur...

6 December 2019 11:51 AM

The Money Show’s Bruce Whitfield interviews Nic Haralambous, founder (at the cost of R5000!) of funky sock company Nic Harry.

Airport departure

Considering emigration? Financial planner discusses the affordability of leaving

6 December 2019 11:04 AM

Can you afford to leave South Africa? Certified Financial Planner (CFP) Barry O'Mahony on what to consider before deciding.

140323Earth.jpg

2019 concludes decade of 'exceptional global heat and high-impact weather'

5 December 2019 5:18 PM

The World Meteorological Organization says 2019 is set to be second or third warmest year on record.

emo-adams-michelle-gildenhuysjpg

Celebrity couple Emo Adams and Michelle Gildenhuys on raising 4 kids

5 December 2019 3:10 PM

The singer and the model boss share the secrets of their happy marriage and parenting styles.

son-of-a-son-702-thumbnail-bonganijpg

Bongani Bingwa: You make choices that'll have lasting consequences for your kids

5 December 2019 1:13 PM

Fatherhood is one of the most consequential things you can do in your life and, yet nobody expects you to be prepared for it.

flinders-university-shark-bite-testjpg

Surfer alert! Shark bite-resistant wetsuit one step closer to reality

5 December 2019 12:10 PM

Trials in Australia have shown a new fabric reduces the level of penetration of a shark bite and consequently tissue damage.

merseyside-mounted-police-horse-jake-drinks-teapng

[WATCH] This police horse won't start his day without a nice cuppa tea!

4 December 2019 10:34 AM

Watch Jake the Merseyside Police horse who likes his tea with skim milk and two lumps of sugar.