money-show-thumbnailjpg
The Money Show with Bruce Whitfield

Up Next: SportsTalk with Buhle Madulini
The Money Show with Bruce Whitfield
Lifestyle

Miss SA gave me a platform to realise my dreams - Bassie Kumalo shares her story

9 October 2019 3:19 PM
Miss South Africa
Basetsana Kumalo
memoir
1994
Bassie
My Journey of Hope
Former Miss South Africa Basetsana Kumalo has written her tell-all autobiography which she hopes will inspire the nation.

Media mogul Basetsana Kumalo has written her memoir which sheds light on the good, bad and the ugly of being a public figure.

The book, entitled Bassie – My Journey of Hope, was released this week by publishers Penguin Books.

In it, Kumalo speaks candidly about her family, Christian faith, relationships, success, abuse and the lessons she learned.

The businesswoman was crowned Miss South Africa in 1994 at a critical moment in South Africa's political history.

Her memoir details how winning the crown changed the trajectory of her life, 25 years on.

Kumalo says she wants readers to find a new sense of hope in a time when many South Africans are disillusioned with the state of the country.

Pageantry was a big thing in the townships at the time. When I won Miss South Africa, the township of Soweto won. South Africa embraced this new face.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

Miss South Africa really catapulted me and gave me a platform that I would have otherwise never have had to realise my dreams.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

She also writes about overcoming loss and pain in her life.

An avid journaler, Kumalo says writing about her life experiences was a cathartic exercise which has brought her healing and renewed hope.

I turned 45 in March this year and I just felt that everything was aligned.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

She relives some of the traumatic times in her life. These include the death of her parents, her miscarriages and her abusive relationship with former boxing champion Dingaan Thobela.

There were days when getting out of bed was impossible, when brushing my hair was an effort and when eating was too hard. My faith saved me.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

It's important for me to chronicle what I've been through and my life experiences.

Basetsana Kumalo, Businesswoman and former Miss South Africa

Bassie – My Journey of Hope is out in bookstores nationwide.

Listen to the inspiring discussion on The Yellow Couch with Pippa Hudson:

Thumbnail: Basetsana Kumalo on Twitter.

9 October 2019 3:19 PM
Miss South Africa
Basetsana Kumalo
memoir
1994
Bassie
My Journey of Hope

More from Lifestyle

BOOKS pexels-photo-264635jpeg

John Maytham's Weekly Book Review: 18 October 2019

18 October 2019 5:06 PM

Book-a-holic and CapeTalk host John Maytham shares his top book picks for the week.

Divorce

Considering divorce? How to avoid getting poorer in the process

17 October 2019 2:43 PM

Personal finance expert Warren Ingram warns that divorce almost always destroys wealth. Here’s how to not lose your money.

basetsana-kumalojpg

'We discuss stocks and options with our children at the dinner table'

17 October 2019 1:51 PM

Bruce Whitfield interviews Basetsana Kumalo about her attitude to money (hopes and fears, successes and failures, etc.).

bsnvjpg

Hit dating reality show to feature first gay farmer on Thursday

17 October 2019 10:20 AM

'Boer Soek 'n Vrou' producer Roelof Storm explains why it took twelve seasons to feature a farmer looking for a same-sex soulmate.

yves-saint-laurent-condomjpg

Yves Saint Laurent starts selling designer condoms for R95 a pop

16 October 2019 2:51 PM

Some things in life just don’t need a “designer” counterpart, reckons branding and advertising expert Andy Rice.

man-plays-message-from-gravepng

[WATCH] Irish prankster sends a message to his mates from the grave

16 October 2019 10:30 AM

Shay Bradley's dying wish was to play a recorded message from his grave and his daughter Andrea obliged.

islandjpeg

How to save and buy an island (you need only R2000 per month)

15 October 2019 3:36 PM

Saving money on boring stuff such as a car can allow you to do really outrageous and courageous stuff, says Sam Beckbessinger.

Parenting.jpg

The warning signs of parental alienation

15 October 2019 3:29 PM

Parental alienation is now officially recognised by the World Health Organisation as a ‘caregiver-child relationship problem.’

stethoscope-doctor-medical-healthjpg

Cardiologist warns of conditions and diseases linked to obesity

15 October 2019 12:04 PM

The heart doctor explains how obesity can negatively impact on people's health.

black-man-identity-cellphone-fitnessjpg

3 tips to avoid viruses on your phone

15 October 2019 7:30 AM

Beware of downloading little-known free apps as they may harbour viruses and malware says tech expert Alistair Fairweather.