Cape Town in for a treat as Kirstenbosch Summer Concerts starts this Sunday
What would summer in the Mother City be without Kirstenbosch Summer Concerts?
The popular open-air concerts are back! They start on Sunday 24 November and end on Sunday 5 April 2020.
Sarah Struys, events manager at Kirstenbosch, says the concerts series has been running for 28 years.
The concerts cater to a diverse mix of musical tastes, with a range of artists on the line-up.
Struys says this year sees a combination of old favourites and fresh new-comers to the series.
Visitors are encouraged to pack a blanket and picnic baskets and basking in the scenic, family-friendly environment on lazy Sunday afternoon.
Below is the official line-up:
- 24 Nov 2019 – Crimson House / Southern Wild
- 01 Dec 2019 – Black Motion / Amanda Black
- 08 Dec 2019 – Watershed
- 12, 13, 14, 15 Dec 2019 – Christmas Carols - Hosted by the Rotary Club and sponsored by Pick n Pay
- 22 Dec 2019 – Shekinah / Unathi
- 29 Dec 2019 – Goldfish
- 31 Dec 2019 – NYE: Freshlyground / Nomadic Orchestra / Native Young
- 05 Jan 2020 – Jimmy Nevis / Craig Lucas / Paxton Fielies
- 12 Jan 2020 – Mi Casa
- 19 Jan 2020 – The Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra
-26 Jan 2020 – Goodluck / Tresor
- 02 Feb 2020 – Kwesta / Sjava
- 09 Feb 2020 – AKA
- 08 Feb 2020 – Yo-Yo Ma (International Concert)
- 16 Feb 2020 – Cape Town Folk ‘n Acoustic Music Festival
- 23 Feb 2020 – Spoegwolf / Jo Black
- 01 Mar 2020 – Matthew Mole
- 08 Mar 2020 – Prince Kaybee / Sho Madjozi
- 15 Mar 2020 – Sun El Musician and Simmy / Lady Zamar
- 22 Mar 2020 – Cape Town Opera
- 29 Mar 2020 – Jeremy Loops
- 05 April 2020 – Andrew Young and Don Vino
South African rock icons Watershed celebrate 20 years in the game and will be part of the summer line up with a gig on 8 December.
Craig Hinds, the leader singer of the multiplatinum-selling band, says their music has taken them all over the world.
Hinds joined CapeTalk's Kieno Kammies to talk about the group's musical journey.
Purchase tickets on Webtickets only or at the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens office.
Listen for more on what to expect this summer:
The trailer for the apartheid prison biopic starring Daniel Radcliffe just came out and South Africans are cringing at the scenes.Read More
Mpho Popps shares his views about modelling to his daughter what a good relationship with a man should look like.Read More
Kabelo Thathe explains how his journey to fatherhood has helped him become the best dad that he can be.Read More
Richard O’Brien, who created The Rocky Horror Show, describes the magic and madness behind the cult musical.Read More
Rugby start Siya Kolisi has signed a deal with Roc Nation Sports International, the agency founded by hip hop mogul Jay-Z.Read More
Fatherhood is one of the most consequential things you can do in your life and, yet nobody expects you to be prepared for it.Read More
'Ghost' is Matthew Mole's third album. He describes the narrative and sound behind his latest offering.Read More
Donovan Thorne talks about the special bond fathers have with their daughters and, how it has made him a better man.Read More
The award-winning actress talks about the new production of the iconic musical and her love for theatre.Read More
Alderman JP Smith elaborates on the line-up, security and road closures for Sunday's event. The free concert kicks off at 4pm.Read More