The False Bay coastline between Sunrise and Sonwabi beaches is being monitored by law enforcement officials after three teenagers were arrested and subsequently released for a number of robberies from police custody last week Tuesday.
This was allegedly done as none of the victims were prepared to lay charges, but it appears that the South African Police Service (SAPS) did not make contact with victims following the arrests.
MayCo Member for Safety and Security JP Smith says that victims that do not come forward to lay charges make it difficult for law enforcement to carry out their work.
Its very frustrating for our staff because its difficult to catch people in the act and have none of the witnesses willing to come forward.— JP Smith, MayCo Member for Safety and Security
The trio was apprehended when a law enforcement officer patrolling the sand dunes in the area found the teenagers – two aged 16 and one 15 – hiding out.
The group fled when they spotted the officer, but all three were apprehended when a colleague assisted in the chase. All three reside in Capricorn.
According to Smith, none of the victims had been contacted by the police about the arrests so that they could identify them or lay charges.
Africa Melane also spoke with Dr Tessa Dowling, a victim of the Sunrise beach robberies who says she was disturbed to find that the suspects were released.
I want those boys locked up because they are really dangerous. They are making us all victims and I was not contacted that they were arrested.— Dr Tessa Dowling, robbery victim
She says police officials did not initially take her statement.
Listen to the full conversation, with Africa Melane standing in, on Breakfast with Kieno Kammies: