Aubrey Masango 2019 BW Aubrey Masango 2019 BW

'I was frightened' - Raphael Rowe describes being locked up at Brandvlei Prison

16 January 2021 3:52 PM
Brandvlei Prison
Brandvlei Correctional Centre
Raphael Rowe
Inside the World's Toughest Prisons

Journalist and ex-prisoner Raphael Rowe spent a week behind bars at the Brandvlei Prison for the new season of the docu-series, Inside the World’s Toughest Prisons.

Season 5 of the popular documentary series Inside The World’s Toughest Prisons is out now on Nextflix.

It features a hard look inside Brandvlei Correctional Centre in the Western Cape, home to the notorious Number gangs.

Journo Raphael Rowe spends a tough week in a cell with eight convicted murderers in the new season of the show.

RELATED: Inmates are people before they're prisoners - Netflix doccie host Raphael Rowe

RELATED: 'I spent 12 years in jail for a murder I didn't commit'

Rowe says he was genuinely frightened when he entered the prison cell with members of numbers gangs who later stole his shoes from him.

Inmates intimidated Rowe during his stay and took him through an initiation process of sorts. It took a few days to gain their trust, but eventually, some prisoners also shared insights about the prison culture at Brandvlei.

Raphael Rowe sits with inmates at Brandvlei Correctional Centre in Worcester Image: Netflix

RELATED: Some Covid-19 positive inmates from Helderstroom Prison transferred to Pollsmoor

I wasn't there to sensationalise the Numbers, I wasn't there to degrade these individuals. I was there to explore what it's like as an individual and then to branch out into what the Numbers mean. Why can't they break free of this cycle of destruction, etc?

Raphael Rowe, Investigative reporter and TV host

There is nothing staged, nothing scripted. When I walked into that cell with those guys, they had not met me before. They knew nothing about me and I knew nothing about them.

Raphael Rowe, Investigative reporter and TV host

When I walked into the cell and you saw the fear on my face, that was genuine.

Raphael Rowe, Investigative reporter and TV host

They have their own language and their own way of indoctrinating a prisoner into their cell, which is probably why so many prisoners end up being part of a Number gang... because unless they have the money they would have to be part of a number gang.

Raphael Rowe, Investigative reporter and TV host

I'm pleased to say that a few days later I did get my takkies back because I did win them over with my questioning and talking with the guys.

Raphael Rowe, Investigative reporter and TV host

I didn't expect it to be as overt as it was when I walked into that prison and into the maximum security section that I went to where everybody there had a number 26, 27 and 28 stamped on their body... I was genuinely shocked, and that's not even getting to the point where they intimidated me when I went through initiation process.

Raphael Rowe, Investigative reporter and TV host

The number gangs have a notorious international reputation and so I was both fearful and excited to go and explore what this was about... to think that it still reverberates around prisoners and individuals in prisons is astonishing.

Raphael Rowe, Investigative reporter and TV host

It wasn't my first trip to South African but it was definitely trip to a prison in South Africa.

Raphael Rowe, Investigative reporter and TV host

Listen to the discussion on Weekend Breakfast with Sara-Jayne King:

16 January 2021 3:52 PM
Brandvlei Prison
Brandvlei Correctional Centre
Raphael Rowe
Inside the World's Toughest Prisons

More from Local

SA temporarily suspends J&J vaccine rollout after US calls halt over clotting

13 April 2021 8:02 PM

Health Minister Zweli Mkhize says it's unlikely the move will result in complete withdrawal of J&J shot from SA 'vaccine armament'

SA Olympians to show off local vellies at Tokyo Games

13 April 2021 6:55 PM

'We've got a colour shoe for every ring of the Olympic Games!' The Money Show interviews Veldskoen CEO Nick Dreyer.

SA health experts are meeting after US recommends halting J&J vaccinations

13 April 2021 6:43 PM

Six cases of rare type of blood clotting have been reported out of a total of 6.8 million vaccinations with the J&J Covid-19 shot.

Eskom announces return of Stage 2 load shedding from 9pm tonight

13 April 2021 6:34 PM

Eskom has announced that it will implement Stage 2 load shedding from 9pm on Tuesday night until 5am on Wednesday.

Here's how to check your load shedding schedule in Cape Town

13 April 2021 6:33 PM

Schedules and load shedding status for your area.

'Age should be most important criterion when rolling out next phase of vaccines'

13 April 2021 5:21 PM

The CEO of the DG Murray Trust, David Harrison, says the elderly should be prioritised as South Africa prepares for the second phase of the vaccine rollout.

The Table Mountain dassie population is declining – listener

13 April 2021 2:51 PM

Are there fewer dassies than before? Pippa Hudson interviews SANParks Regional Ecologist Marna Herbst.

AI-based algorithm shows SA has low risk of Covid-19 third wave - for now

13 April 2021 1:44 PM

An artificial intelligence (AI)-based algorithm shows that there is currently a low risk of a Covid-19 third wave in the country.

[WATCH] DCR says prison abuse video is staged and plans to lay criminal charges

13 April 2021 1:38 PM

Correctional Services Dept says the alleged creative artist has contravened the prisons act using uniforms without permission.

[SCAM] Fraudsters rip off desperate job seekers using Green Point office space

13 April 2021 12:54 PM

The co-working office space owner describes a shocking incident when scamsters hired the boardroom to fleece unsuspecting victims.