An 8-year-old boy allegedly choked to death on an apple at a school in Bonnievale on Thursday 21 July 2015.
Lionel Adendorf, Bonnievale resident and community leader, has said that the area does not have access to emergency services.
Adendorf also claims that the teachers don’t have the necessary first aid training, a point disputed by Western Cape Education Department spokesperson Jessica Shelver.
Shelver says the school in question has two teachers that are qualified for first aid.
We are awaiting a full report. In summary, the learner allegedly choked on an apple during recess at school. Two qualified first-aid trained teachers tried to resuscitate him but where unsuccessful. Emergency services was called.— Jessica Shelver, Shelver. Spokesperson to WC MEC of Education Debbie Schafer
Listen to the full conversation from CapeTalk's Breakfast with Kieno Kammies: