Volkswagen has been making headlines in recent days after the car manufacturer was exposed for alleged test-rigging last week.
VW was found to have equipped millions of diesel-powered cars with software designed to fool emissions tests.
According to advertising guru and Director of Cherryflava Media, Jonathan Cherry, there are lessons to be taken away from the recent VW scandal.
VW is one of those brands which had earned the trust of the motoring and investing public for over 35 years.— Jonathan Cherry, advertising expert
Five marketing lessons to be learnt:
1. Brand trust is built over several years.
2. It takes a lot of effort and money to build brand trust.
3. One wrong decision has the ability to taint any great or iconic global brand.
4. Honesty, transparency and ethics are becoming important elements of business and branding.
5. Consumers expect brands to have integrity, and there are unintended consequences when they fall short.
Listen to the full conversation between Jonathan Cherry and CapeTalk's Kieno Kammies: