The key to living a quality life is achieving the most suitable work-life balance, advises psychologist Dr Helgo Schomer.
Work–life balance is the ability to prioritise between one's career or profession and other commitments.
Dr Schomer says that it is crucial to list the components of work–life balance in order of importance, within your own context.
We all balance our lives with our unique capacity and circumstances. It changes and it's flexible.— Dr Helgo Schomer, psychologist
He explains that while some people perceive work to be a miserable operation, there are many others that derive enjoyment from purposeful occupation.
Dr Schomer stressed the importance of setting boundaries in the workplace, so that one's job does not intrude into personal life and rejuvenation time.
He has encouraged individuals to question and engage colleagues and employees about organisational culture that is not conducive to a work-life balance.
We are not just filling time, we are making a difference... Some people derive enjoyment and motivation to carry on.— Dr Helgo Schomer, psychologist
10 key questions to gauge your work-life balance:
- Are you physically healthy and fit enough to enjoy daily activities?
- Do you take pleasure in each day, and enjoy the small 'pearls'?
- Is there intimacy in your life, and do you have close relationships with friends and family?
- Do you have a heightened awareness of the awe and beauty around you?
- Are there enough challenges and opportunities for growth in your life?
- Does your existence make a difference in society and those around you?
- Is there quality behind your behaviour and actions?
- Do you have option time and moments of solitude?
- Is there a faith or belief system that supports you?
- Does your life all make sense?
Listen to the full conversation from The Redi Tlhabi Show (with Eusebius Mckaiser):
This article first appeared on 702 : Top 10 ways to get work-life balance right