Refilwe Moloto 2019 1500 BW Refilwe Moloto 2019 1500 BW

EFF
Alcohol
Alcohol abuse
Camps Bay
Dr Mbuyiseni Ndlozi
moet

Daily Maverick journalist and columnist explains why she wrote the piece on the EFF's trash and if it is journalistic or tabloid.

How far are you willing to go to get evidence for your story?

Daily Maverick journalist and columnist Marianne Thamm has come under fire for going through the trash to get evidence against the EFF leadership.

In her piece on Daily Maverick, Thamm allegedly exposes how the EFF rented a four-bedroom luxury Camps Bay villa priced at between R7,100 and R25,000 a night during the Sona period.

The trash also had French champagne brands Veuve Clicquot, Veuve Clicquot Rich, and Moët et Chandon.

I think that if you are a public official and particularly running on a ticket of economic redress and you are fighting for the poor and check into a guest house that cost you R60,000 for eight nights and that money goes straight into a foreign owner. I checked all this out and you put your trash out because you had a lekker party then you are fair game.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

I was only able to load seven of the 14 bags into my car and I took them somewhere and I got witnesses with me and we unpacked them.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

We found items that link a member of the EFF to the house in Camps Bay. That is Dr Mbuyiseni Ndlozi. The booking was made by the CIC bodyguard.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

I found lots of expensive alcohol, tobacco, leftover food, used and unused condoms.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

When probed why she never went through other politicians trash and if this was planned, Thamm says:

This didn't involve planning. I don't go around looking through trash. I am too busy.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

702 listener weighed in on the discussion.

I couldn't care less what Malema does in his private life.

Lungi, Caller

People should read the story and draw their own conclusion.

Brit, Caller

I don't understand why as a member of the EFF I should book myself in Camps Bay or Khayelitsha. There is no one in this day and age the EFF my justify why there were used condoms in the trash bag. This is cheap journalism.

Mpho, Caller

I read the article in the morning. As a voter and who voted for the EFF, I thought its a bit ridiculous. They could have gone to Khayelitsha. The condom issue I thought wow they are using protection.

Palesa, Caller

Listen to the full open line below...

This article first appeared on 702 : I don't go around looking through trash, I am too busy - Marianne Thamm

3 July 2019 12:14 PM
EFF
Alcohol
Alcohol abuse
Camps Bay
Dr Mbuyiseni Ndlozi
moet

Recommended

More from Local

Cars driving in foggy weather low visibility driving safety 123rf

Capetonians, 5 tips on how to drive in foggy weather...and what not to do

7 July 2020 7:39 AM

Driving in Cape Town fog is scary. Automobile Association's Layton Beard gives a great explanation of the dos and don'ts.

200206-john-hlophe-edjpg

Chief Justice Mogoeng wants Judge John Hlophe to face misconduct tribunal

6 July 2020 6:38 PM

Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng has found that John Hlophe has a case to answer regarding his alleged assault of a fellow judge.

elephants-kruger20190729-0302jpg

Independent scientists must probe mysterious elephant deaths in Botswana: expert

6 July 2020 4:55 PM

A conservationist says Botswana’s government needs to hire an independent team to investigate the unexplained deaths of hundreds of elephants.

Woman drinking tea and reading book on couch

These seven public libraries will reopen across Cape Town from next week Monday

6 July 2020 3:24 PM

Cape Town libraries are preparing to resume book lending services in a phased approach, starting with seven facilities on Monday 13 July 2020.

shack-reerected-in-emplwenipng

Rights group threatens court action if City of Cape Town doesn't halt evictions

6 July 2020 2:25 PM

The Legal Resource Centre has given the City of Cape Town until Monday to respond to their demand to stop all evictions during lockdown.

ecd-1png

Legal victory in bid to open Early Childhood Development Centres

6 July 2020 1:30 PM

South African Childcare Association went to court over this issue and won. ECDs can open as of Monday.

lester-kiewit-profilepng

Lester Kiewit hosts brand new Cape Town edition of The Midday Report

6 July 2020 12:00 PM

CapeTalk host Lester Kiewit has taken over The Midday Report, which is no longer simulcast with Johannesburg-based sister station 702.

dr-kagiso-motse-facebookjpg

SA doc's moving account of Covid-19 on the frontline: 'Our systems are cracking'

6 July 2020 10:41 AM

Specialist physician Dr Kagiso Motse describes the anxiety and fears in the ICU wards as the numbers of Covid-19 infections rise.

classroom covid-19 coronavirus mask school

'Current evidence does not prove definitively children cannot transmit Covid-19'

6 July 2020 8:52 AM

Naptosa's David Millar and Sadtu's Mugwena Maluleke explain why they feel it is too early to reopen schools in South Africa.

blood-donation-tubesjpg

WCBS appeals for blood donations on Mandela Day

5 July 2020 9:53 AM

The Western Cape Blood Service (WCBS) has appealed to each and every eligible donor to donate blood this Mandela Day.