Aubrey Masango 2019 BW Aubrey Masango 2019 BW

The Aubrey Masango Show
Business

Personal Finance Feature: Julia - The super saver

9 July 2020 8:02 PM
Warren Ingram
supersaver julia

Though leaving corporate to venture into tourism has been a big test of resilience, she is still happy with her decision.

Every year in July (since 2013) The Money Show’s Bruce Whitfield interviews supersaver Julia (and her personal finance advisor Warren Ingram).

This year is no exception as Bruce engages Julia for the Personal Finance Feature.

Nice to be back on the show for the eighth year running. It has been a huge journey. I gave up my corporate job just over six months ago, around September last year, to start a business. So, that was really bad timing. If only I had a crystal ball to be able to see the future, but I still feel very positive about the future.

Julia

Read more about Julia here:

I don't think I will need to go back to corporate. That's one of the reasons why I saved so hard to be financially so I can do what I want with my life.

Julia

Even though it has been a harrowing and big test of resilience for the past few months, I'm still happy with my decision.

Julia

It's been brutal for everyone in the tourism industry. I'm lucky in the sense that I don't have a lot of capital invested in the business. I didn't have a lot of fixed costs and I think my colleagues in the industry who have a lot of fixed costs already suffering right now.

Julia

Julia's business is still operating and she has also been moving clients to next. She has been able to spend time with family.

She hasn't touched her JSE account much.

Our money is both in the house, the JSE and a very large emergency fund.

Listen below for the full interview...

This article first appeared on 702 : Personal Finance Feature: Julia - The super saver

9 July 2020 8:02 PM
Warren Ingram
supersaver julia

More from Business

afrika-tikkunjpg

SA needs 'the Madiba compassion' more than ever now, says Afrika Tikkun CEO

5 August 2020 8:54 PM

Marc Lubner on the NGO's programmes for young South Africans and how working with Nelson Mandela inspired his life's work.

car insurance short-term cover 123rfbusiness 123rflifestyle 123rf

Why it's a bad idea to ditch or downgrade your car insurance to save on costs

5 August 2020 8:21 PM

Involved in an accident you didn't cause? Third party claims don't pay out much. Wendy Knowler shares one driver's horror story.

liberty-ceo-david-munrojpg

Liberty reports R2.2b loss amid pandemic, but 'capital ratio remains strong'

5 August 2020 7:53 PM

Liberty's David Munro tells The Money Show its R3b pandemic reserve shows the insurer 'truly living out its purpose'.

Crisis just ahead dark clouds thunderstorm 123rf 123rfbusiness

A warning for the future, we do not think enough about our actions

5 August 2020 7:15 PM

Despite being one of the few animals that think about the future, we don’t think far enough

up-3765609-1920jpg

JSE closes at highest level for 2020 with surge in demand (mid-pandemic!)

5 August 2020 6:49 PM

The Money Show's Bruce Whitfield interviews Johannesburg Stock Exchange boss, Leila Fourie.

Red wine white woman female funny reaction 123rf 123rflifestyle

Alcohol industry 'optimistic' that sales prohibition will soon be lifted

5 August 2020 1:15 PM

"If allowed to trade, we can’t be on the edge of our seats every time that the President is about to speak," pleads Kurt Moore.

premier-alan-winde-wearing-face-maskjpg

Premier Winde grilled about why consortium got big share of WC govt's PPE tender

5 August 2020 1:12 PM

Western Cape Premier Alan Winde has denied any suggestions that the provincial government awards its PPE contracts to suppliers with "access to power".

Samsung  Galaxy S6 Edge smartphone 123rf 123rfbusiness

Get cash for your old Samsung, iPhone. Flip Phone collects, pays out instantly

5 August 2020 11:59 AM

You can also buy inexpensive, certified pre-owned phones. Kieno Kammies talks to Flip Phone founder Conor Copas.

absajpg

Absa wins international award for its response to Covid-19

5 August 2020 11:38 AM

The bank is one of only six in the world to be recognised in this way for outstanding performance during the global health crisis.

zoom-backdropjpg

CT businessman creates free-to-use Zoom backdrop in a bid to promote Mother City

5 August 2020 11:23 AM

Ditch the Golden Gate Bridge on Zoom! You can now spruce up your work-from-home backdrop while also putting Cape Town on the map.