'We tried Uber Eats, MR D to survive. We’ve stopped now. The costs cut too deep'
Many restaurants – desperate to survive – have tried using app-based delivery platforms such as Uber Eats and MR D to eke out an existence.
Kyle – a restaurant owner – has thrown in the towel.
The costs cut too deep.
Kyle called Refilwe Moloto to tell his story after hearing an interview on the topic (click here for the interview that moved him to call).
We’ve chosen to avoid using these platforms, purely because of the commission they take… 30% goes to the online delivery platform… On a R100 purchase, they take R30! … We also must pay them monthly fees… By the time you're done, they’re taking 71% of the remaining profits – we get 29%. It’s unsustainable.Kyle, restaurant owner
Restauranteering is a flipping difficult industry to be in…Kyle, restaurant owner
Even if you increase your price, you still pay 30% towards these guys… It’s a game that doesn’t work in our favour.Kyle, restaurant owner
I encourage you to go to your restaurant [when ordering takeout] or phone them, then they get the full value…Kyle, restaurant owner
Listen to Kyle’s call in the audio below.
At its peak, South Africa ranked 5th in the world. The country ranks 13th by the total number of deaths.Read More
Your financial future – even if you have to start over – could be brighter than it would’ve been without the pandemic.Read More
"Retailers were quick to hike prices but slow to lower them,” says the Competition Commission. "There’s a history of this."Read More
The rand was just recently trading at a six-month high. Arabile Gumede interviews Bianca Botes (Peregrine Treasury Solutions).Read More
Wealthy nations representing 13% of the world’s population already bought 2.7 billion yet-to-be-made vaccines, says Oxfam.Read More
Cape Town's swanky city centre may soon have far more people living in it, says David Seinker, CEO at The Business Exchange.Read More
Dr Jody Boffa says while the decline in Covid-19 cases is positive, it's important to remember that the rules still apply.Read More
Bruce Whitfield interviews tourism consultant Gillian Saunders, a previous advisor to former Tourism Minister Derek Hanekom.Read More
The Money Show’s Bruce Whitfield interviews Duma Gqubule, founder at the Centre for Economic Development and Transformation.Read More
"People are tired of staying at home! They want to come out and have fun," says the clearly excited Tasso Evangelinos (CCID).Read More