Kieno Kammies 2019 1500 BW Kieno Kammies 2019 1500 BW

'I was frightened' - Raphael Rowe describes being locked up at Brandvlei Prison

16 January 2021 3:52 PM
Brandvlei Prison
Brandvlei Correctional Centre
Raphael Rowe
Inside the World's Toughest Prisons

Journalist and ex-prisoner Raphael Rowe spent a week behind bars at the Brandvlei Prison for the new season of the docu-series, Inside the World’s Toughest Prisons.

Season 5 of the popular documentary series Inside The World’s Toughest Prisons is out now on Nextflix.

It features a hard look inside Brandvlei Correctional Centre in the Western Cape, home to the notorious Number gangs.

Journo Raphael Rowe spends a tough week in a cell with eight convicted murderers in the new season of the show.

RELATED: Inmates are people before they're prisoners - Netflix doccie host Raphael Rowe

RELATED: 'I spent 12 years in jail for a murder I didn't commit'

Rowe says he was genuinely frightened when he entered the prison cell with members of numbers gangs who later stole his shoes from him.

Inmates intimidated Rowe during his stay and took him through an initiation process of sorts. It took a few days to gain their trust, but eventually, some prisoners also shared insights about the prison culture at Brandvlei.

Raphael Rowe sits with inmates at Brandvlei Correctional Centre in Worcester Image: Netflix

RELATED: Some Covid-19 positive inmates from Helderstroom Prison transferred to Pollsmoor

I wasn't there to sensationalise the Numbers, I wasn't there to degrade these individuals. I was there to explore what it's like as an individual and then to branch out into what the Numbers mean. Why can't they break free of this cycle of destruction, etc?

Raphael Rowe, Investigative reporter and TV host

There is nothing staged, nothing scripted. When I walked into that cell with those guys, they had not met me before. They knew nothing about me and I knew nothing about them.

Raphael Rowe, Investigative reporter and TV host

When I walked into the cell and you saw the fear on my face, that was genuine.

Raphael Rowe, Investigative reporter and TV host

They have their own language and their own way of indoctrinating a prisoner into their cell, which is probably why so many prisoners end up being part of a Number gang... because unless they have the money they would have to be part of a number gang.

Raphael Rowe, Investigative reporter and TV host

I'm pleased to say that a few days later I did get my takkies back because I did win them over with my questioning and talking with the guys.

Raphael Rowe, Investigative reporter and TV host

I didn't expect it to be as overt as it was when I walked into that prison and into the maximum security section that I went to where everybody there had a number 26, 27 and 28 stamped on their body... I was genuinely shocked, and that's not even getting to the point where they intimidated me when I went through initiation process.

Raphael Rowe, Investigative reporter and TV host

The number gangs have a notorious international reputation and so I was both fearful and excited to go and explore what this was about... to think that it still reverberates around prisoners and individuals in prisons is astonishing.

Raphael Rowe, Investigative reporter and TV host

It wasn't my first trip to South African but it was definitely trip to a prison in South Africa.

Raphael Rowe, Investigative reporter and TV host

Listen to the discussion on Weekend Breakfast with Sara-Jayne King:

16 January 2021 3:52 PM
Brandvlei Prison
Brandvlei Correctional Centre
Raphael Rowe
Inside the World's Toughest Prisons

More from Local

Sars plans to tax retirement funds if you leave SA, target offshore assets

24 February 2021 8:42 PM

The proposal to tax retirement fund members when no longer tax-resident in SA is not unreasonable, says Prof. Osman Mollagee.

Med scheme covers chemo treatment but not weekly Covid test required by hospital

24 February 2021 7:39 PM

Consumer ninja Wendy Knowler follows up on the case of a patient who'd been paying his membership dues for more than 40 years.

No tax increases: A 'good news' Budget but SA not out of the woods

24 February 2021 7:17 PM

'We owe a lot of people a lot of money' says Tito Mboweni. Wide-ranging reaction to Budget 2021 on The Money Show.

J&J jab: WC health workers must bring ID and job proof on top of vaccine ticket

24 February 2021 6:27 PM

The Western Cape Health Department says it's implementing additional security measures after reports of vaccine queue-jumping in the province.

Music teacher becomes first woman to swim breaststroke from Robben Island

24 February 2021 5:00 PM

Kim Prytz took six hours to complete the swim from Robben Island to Melkbos, raising money for vulnerable families in Capricorn.

Woman gets Covid-19 from lung transplant. This expert blames weak donor testing

24 February 2021 4:48 PM

An organ transplant recipient in the US died of Covid-19 two months after contracting the virus from her donor's infected lungs.

Man due in court over theft of 'irreplaceable' San cave art

24 February 2021 4:28 PM

Ron Martin of the South African Heritage Resources Agency says the art is valuable beyond estimation.

Karl Bremer Hospital becomes fourth vaccination site in Cape Town

24 February 2021 2:00 PM

The Karl Bremer Hospital near Belville is the lastest site where healthcare workers are able to receive Covid-19 vaccines in the metro.

[WATCH LIVE] Budget 2021: Mboweni dives into state of South Africa's economy

24 February 2021 1:03 PM

All eyes were on South African Finance Minister Tito Mboweni as he delivers his 2021 Budget Speech on Wednesday at 2pm.

'We quit our jobs to make jam' - Couple shares success story

24 February 2021 12:55 PM

Jacobs Jam Company is a level 1 B-BBEE, female, youth-owned jam and sauce manufacturer, located in Ceres.