VACCINE WRAP | J&J jab suspended, online vaccine registrations open for elderly
South Africa has voluntarily suspended the rollout of the Johnson & Johnson following six reported cases of rare blood clots in women who received the J&J shot in the United States.
Nearly 290,000 health care workers have already received the J&J jab across the country under the Sisonke Protocol.
Medicines regulator Sahpra says that there have been no major safety concerns arising from data submitted by Sisonke researchers.
A final decision on the J&J rollout is expected soon. Meanwhile, vaccine registration is now open to the elderly.
We have determined to voluntarily suspend our rollout until the causal relationship between the development of clots and the Johnson and Johnson vaccine is sufficiently interrogated. pic.twitter.com/qYq50IvV9L— Dr Zweli Mkhize (@DrZweliMkhize) April 13, 2021
Here's a recap of the most-read vaccine stories we covered this week:
- Vaccine registration for over 60s opens
- Rollout of J&J vaccine halted
- Johnson & Johnson criticised for terms of vaccine deal
- Blood clots occur in 1 case in 1 million vaccinees, says Prof Glenda Gray
- Malema wants China's Sinovac vaccine and Russian Sputnik V added to the mix
- Israeli study suggests Pfizer vaccine may be less effective against variant
- Why age-based sequencing matters
In other Covid-19 related news:
- Algorithm designed to track likelihood of third wave
- Steady decline of Covid-19 infections amongst health workers
- Beloved Dr Sindi Van Zyl succumbs to Covid-19
- Smell therapy for Covid-19 survivors
Top interviews on CapeTalk that you may have missed:
Here's a look back at our previous vaccine wrap articles:
- 8 April: VACCINE WRAP | Last batch of Sisonke jabs, Ramaphosa gets rollout plan ultimatum
- 2 April: VACCINE WRAP | J&J jab granted conditional approval, SA's AstraZeneca shots sold
- 25 March: VACCINE WRAP | SA awaits Pfizer jab with over 220k vaccinations in Sisonke trial
- 19 March: VACCINE WRAP | More J&J jabs arrive in SA, Europe puts AstraZeneca shot on hold
- 12 March: VACCINE WRAP | Western Cape's J&J doses running low, warning over bogus vaccines
- 5 March: VACCINE WRAP | Frontliners turned away at Tygerberg site, WC hits over 15k jabs
- 26 Feb: VACCINE WRAP | Over 7k people jabbed in WC, queue-jumpers try 'game the system
Source : https://www.123rf.com/photo_162612481_johnson-and-johnson-logo-on-the-background-of-bottle-or-vial-with-vaccine-and-syringe-for-injection-.html?vti=nte1ff16v0a53kppoe-1-1