Car sales and repairs reopen, but no clarity on motor licensing offices just yet
Car sales and emergency repairs can now resume, the Trade and Industry Department announced on Tuesday.
The motoring industry will be opened in three phases according to the rules gazetted by the department.
Car dealers are now allowed to sell both new and used cars, but it appears that motor licensing offices are still closed, says consumer journalist Wendy Knowler.
Car repair shops will be allowed to reopen, as well as auto electricians, tyre fitment and windscreen replacement centres, motor body repairers, parts distribution centres, car testing centres, and weighbridges.
Under the current phase (phase one), the following rules apply:
- only 30% of staff in dealerships
- most sales must be done remotely
- test drives by appointment
- all new cars to be delivered to buyer’s homes, fully sanitised
- no car deliveries across provinces
- cars for sale can only be transported from port to dealership and between dealerships in the same province
- Emergency repairs can be carried out on all vehicles
- No cosmetic repairs allowed, only repairs for safety or roadworthiness and routine servicing
- Cars overdue for a service can be repaired
New and used car sales can resume from today along with maintenance and repair.Wendy Knowler, Consumer journalist
No cosmetic repairs, no scratch and dent repairs, no walk-ins to the dealership, either on the service side or the sales side.Wendy Knowler, Consumer journalist
AutoTrader CEO George Mienie says there is very little clarity around licensing departments and whether they are operating.
Listen to the advice and open line on ConsumerTalk for more:
Every Wednesday, on The Pippa Hudson Show, Wendy Knowler provides useful insights and tips on how to make the most of your buying power.
For more stories visit the ConsumerTalk feature page.
Got a consumer case you need help resolving?
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, put Cape Talk in the subject line, followed by the issue e.g. cellphone contract dispute.
Source : https://www.123rf.com/photo_122658834_cars-for-sale-automotive-industry-cars-dealership-parking-lot-rows-of-brand-new-vehicles-awaiting-ne.html