Pippa Hudson 2019 1500 BW 2
Lunch with Pippa Hudson

Up Next: Afternoon Drive with John Maytham
Lunch with Pippa Hudson
Local

'Behind every man is a childhood' - male survivor of sexual abuse speaks out

21 November 2019 3:19 PM
Childline
MatrixMen
#metoo
male survivors of sexual abuse
An emotional survivor shares his story on-air, with further insight provided by MatrixMen and a former Childline director.

In the age of #MeToo it is not only female voices being heard. Male survivors of sexual abuse are also starting to tell their stories.

RELATED: There is help for men who are victims of sexual abuse

Pippa Hudson's joined in studio by one such survivor, as well as former Childline director Joan van Niekerk and manager of the support group MatrixMen, David Ralphs.

RELATED: 'Help is just a phone call away' - a lifeline for male survivors of sex assault

Dale tells the story of the journey to rebuild his life after experiencing sexual abuse from the age of five and is proud to say he will be 17 years sober in December as a recovering alcoholic.

Choked by tears, he says it was at the age of 14 that he realised things were "not as they were supposed to be".

For the last ten years it wasn't only the sexual abuse, it was I wouldn't say physical abuse - I didn't have welts or black eyes - but if I did something I wrong I would get hit through the face or on the head by him. He would use his belt.

Dale, Survivor of sexual abuse

I said please don't do this any more, please don't touch me.

Dale, Survivor of sexual abuse

The abuser persisted, insisting on just one more time, but Dale found the strength to draw the line.

I held on to absolutely everything I could, whatever strength I could and he finally left me alone.

Dale, Survivor of sexual abuse

After a few months however, the cycle started again. Dale says he would resist night after night when the man came into his room until one occasion which marked a turning point.

I think he just realised I was older and, reflecting now as an adult, he realised the 'child Dale' was over.

Dale, Survivor of sexual abuse

Dale says it's the emotional abuse or entrapment that goes with sexual abuse that society is not even aware of.

Adults see children through adult eyes. You've got to see that child as a five-year-old sitting there, respecting what's being told to me - adults are correct, you'll be seen and not heard.

Dale, Survivor of sexual abuse

When Dale's abuser finally moved out, he says, he finally felt the house felt like his home. He feels it was a release not only for him but also for his mother.

We'd put music on and dance together! Yes I suffered, but my mother suffered as well.

Dale, Survivor of sexual abuse

Dale adds that many men have not had the chance to speak and start a process of recovery from childhood abuse with the kind of support that he has experienced.

Behind every man is a childhood and you're welcome to judge, but do you know the child that man once was?

Dale, Survivor of sexual abuse

One of Dale's sources of support has been former director at Childline Joan van Niekerk, who voices concern about the misconception that it's only, or mostly, girls who are sexually abused.

I'm very concerned about the impact of just focusing on the empowerment of girls in this country. Research tells us that boys have a slightly higher level of abuse than girls.

Joan van Niekerk, Former director at Childline

For more of this important conversation and information on support group MatrixMen, listen to the audio below:

21 November 2019 3:19 PM
Childline
MatrixMen
#metoo
male survivors of sexual abuse

More from Local

Roadblock beaufort-westjpg

New law on 0% blood-alcohol limit for drivers to be strictly enforced, says FARR

29 January 2020 1:15 PM

Zero-tolerance for drunk drivers is the way to go, says the Foundation for Alcohol Related Research.

190830-noon-gun-edjpg

I haven't gotten a cent - Cape Town's retired noon gunner becries pension delays

29 January 2020 11:40 AM

It's been almost five months since Chief Petty Officer Dudley Malgas fired the canon on Signal Hill for the last time.

181018-ebrahimpateljpg

Journo exposing dodgy Lottery deals says Minister Patel must act

29 January 2020 10:56 AM

Investigative journalist Ray Joseph is behind some of the exposés that have uncovered Lottery grants linked to fraud and nepotism.

Police shooting at Unisa students

If I have debt, I must service it – Unisa in response to rioting students

29 January 2020 10:16 AM

Student riots and striking staff – it’s been a violent start to Unisa’s year. Refilwe Moloto interviews Dr Lusani Netshitomboni.

farida-cajeejpg

SA teen takes prosthetic invention to global science stage

29 January 2020 10:10 AM

Science whiz Farida Cajee is one of two South African pupils jetting off to Taiwan to show off her award-winning project.

Submarine communications cable under the sea 123rfbusiness 123rflifestyle 123rf

[WEDNESDAY] Ship arrives at Angolan cable grounds, internet repairs underway

29 January 2020 7:57 AM

Cape Town's internet has been slow due to cable damage and the provisional repair date remains 8 February.

Enoch

[WATCH LIVE] Family and friends gather for Enock Mpianzi's memorial

28 January 2020 12:40 PM

The 13-year-old was found in the Crocodile River at a school camp nearly two days after he went missing.

ncc-crew-2jfif

[IN PICS] All-female crew joins fire line for very first time in Noordhoek blaze

28 January 2020 10:58 AM

Hats off to the all-female firefighting crew from NCC Wildfires who stepped up and helped contain the blaze in the Noordhoek wetlands.

audi-joburg-speedster-screenshotjpg

[UPDATE] Joburg speedster who clocked over 300km/h granted bail

28 January 2020 10:29 AM

The speedster arrested for driving over 300km/h on the N1 Highway in Gauteng has been granted bail.

noordhoek-fire-sanparksjpeg

Noordhoek wetlands fire started deliberately - Table Mountain National Park

28 January 2020 9:51 AM

The fire in the Noordhoek Wetlands area, which flared up on Monday, was started by suspected arsonists, authorities say.